Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#7,418 ·
Well Lamborghini is one of the companies I was looking for although Fiat certainly built tractors. Peugeot I don't know about. I researched it , saw reference to tractor but after reading and looking I could never find one although I did find a Massey-Ferguson with a Peugeot engine installed.
I'll except Fiat but there are still two other companies I'm looking for. And what about that helicopter?

BB :confused::confused:

#7,420 ·
Only other one's I can think of are Mercedes benz and Rolls Royce that may have been tired to tractors or helicopters. I know both built aero engines, and Mercedes built the Unimog that had a PTO and 3 point hitch like a tractor? Im out of guesses, hopefully someone will jump in that knows the answer, I usually do pretty well with tractor questions lol

Kelly

#7,426 ·
Well I guess I'm a little rusty at this so I'll stick with a tractor question. From 1938-1957 Allis-Chalmers produced the small sized "B" tractor. It was approximately 22-25 hp and weighed around 2300 lbs. Now to the good part, the engine bearings in the Allis-Chalmers "B" were all shimmed with various thickness shims from the factory. Each rod and main bearing had a different number and thickness of shims, and had relatively exact bearing clearances. They had a compression ratio of only about 6:1, and a max RPM of around 1900. Why were the bearing clearances so critical on these engines?

Also if it helps the same engine was used on the later "C" and "CA" series.

Think simple.....:thumbup:

Kelly

#7,428 ·
Good guess and the obvious reason is too tight of a clearance will cause early failure as would having too much clearance. There is an oddity I guess you could say about these engines, that requires a relatively exact clearance for the engine to run for any length of time reliably. The oddity is what I am looking for.

Kelly

#7,445 ·
To maintain oil pressure.
BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys the other day. A couple of you are right kind of. The shims were used to maintain relatively exact clearances for the time period to maintain oil to the crankshaft rod journals. These engines were "dip oiled" rod journals kind of like a lawn mower engine. teh rod journals were note pressure oiled, they just picked up oil everytime the crank turned, it dipped into the oil in the pan.

Again sorry for the delayed reply.
Kelly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.