Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#7,871 ·
You have me stumped on this one the engine looks like a side valve ford ,but it has a vakve cover like an overhead cam,Toyota /Nissan a water pump big enough to cool a diesel a generator instead of a alternator so probably pre 63.and that starter looks like an electric motor ,Huge ,it says delco on the tag so I am assuming GM product,,but the motor looks Ford..??:confused:
:confused:

#7,872 ·
I don't know if there is any modifications there, sure didn't look like it as the car appeared stone stock. It's from the late 20's early 30's. I believe it still had wooden spoke wheels.

Brian

#7,874 ·
The model T had a side valve engine that looks very similar exept dist, is on top and to rear rest of engine looks like side valve
well exaust and carb are on the wrong side for what I was thinking and they had flat copper plug wires
some as the one I placed has a magneto ,,,my friend has a 29 model A with barb wire for plug wires.

Attachments

#7,878 ·
Ok - let's see here

We have a gear/chain/belt-driven generator that is nearly as big as the engine itself. That generator has a somewhat weird ignition coil on it, with the cylindrical coil mounted parallel to the axis of the generator, and the main spark lead coming out of the SIDE of the coil, leading to a somewhat conventional-appearing distributor.

The generator drives a shaft that turns the (actually pretty small) waterpump located at the back of engine, with a long hose going back past the engine to (presumably) the radiator.

There is a tall tower to tension the wide leather fanbelt

Below the waterpump is a starter with exposed mechanism, to drive an exposed ring gear on a flywheel, sans any form of bellhousing.

The engine appears to be an ultra-low compression flathead 4 (I'd guess that it is in the 4:1 range)

So - OK - presence of a starter says mid to late teens at the earliest

Strange (by later design standards) configuration of generator/shaft-drive/ waterpump says the earlier end that time scale

Lack of any bellhousing says -

well - actually it says that I don't have a clue what this thing is!

#7,880 ·
I thought it had a Star on the radiator, not the Dodge brother star but a star. I look up Star and don't see a car like it, but I could swear it said Star on that ID tag.

Brian

#7,881 ·
I thought it had a Star on the radiator, not the Dodge brother star but a star. I look up Star and don't see a car like it, but I could swear it said Star on that ID tag.

In searching out some photos, it is a Star-Durant, 1927. Darn it, guess I should have done that and kept it to my self.

It's anyones floor.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.