Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#7,984 ·
Think basic stuff for cars. No oil involved other than lubrication for pump itself.
If no one gets it by this evening I'll cough up the answer.

Hint # 2.
This is a accessory, not part of the vehicle itself. After market.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Where are all you other "experts"?? Hummmmm?

#7,996 ·
LOL, are you telling me he wasn't Mr. Congeniality?

It's your floor, yes a 63 Nova radio block off plate. I was hoping I could screw with you guys figuring you would call it a "delete" plate when it is NOT a "delete" plate being this was standard equipment and the radio, any radio was an option.

Brian

#7,997 ·
I started out in New Car Get Ready. I've removed hundreds of them. Those early Ford trucks that 496 mentioned never came with these plates. When we got those trucks or Econolines in without radios inevitably the salesmen would sell a radio along with the truck. Heaters and spare tires also. I'd go down to the parts dept and get radio kit. In the box would be a paper template that you would tape to the dash and with a ***** punch you would hammer six dimples into the dash.All became pilot holes. Two for controls and four in a rectangle to start the process of hacksawing a hole for the dial. nifty small grinder with cut off wheels then. A very sophisticated hack saw blade with one end wrapped in electrical tape. Same story for the heaters. I'm thinking that the cars did come with plates. They also came without radios and heaters. I can remember getting Mustangs without radio's and heaters. that way the dealership could advertise them for as low as $1777.00.Sold on Sunday, installed all that stuff on Monday.

#8,002 ·
No it couldn't be "a" round door Rolls Royce. It is THE " Rolls Royce Phantom l Jonckheere Aerodynamic Coupe" A very interesting car. The 1925 Phantom 1 chassis was ordered by a American Matron from Detroit. The chassis was delivered to a very reputable coachbuilder in England and a custom body was constructed. The car was shipped to America and the Matron from Detroit went to pick it up and upon sight declined it! The car was then sold to a Raja of Napara, shipped back to where ever Napara was and the Raja took position of it. Tiring quickly of "another Rolls" Raj sold it. It passed through a number of owners and ended up in Belgium in 1932 where a unknown owner commissioned the coach house of Jonckheere to re-body it. Who was the actual designer and who the actual owner are unknown because records were lost in a fire. The car won the 1936 Cannes Concours d’Elegance in France. By 1938 it again was back in the USA this time owner by light bulb king, Maxwell M. Bilofsky. He drove it for awhile and then sold it. Again it went through a number of owners and ended up in 1950 in a New Jersey junk yard. it was found by a small time promoter named Max Opie. Opie restored it and painted it with six pounds of gold dust and lacquer. It became a traveling side show. After a few years it again disappeared only to re-discovered in 1991 and purchased by a Japanese gentleman and went to Japan for a while. In 2004 Bob Peterson bought it where it remains in the Peterson collection. A fabulous Art Deco creation.

Attachments

#8,013 ·
I have been looking at some photos of 57 Mercs,they must have offered both single and dual headlights depending on body style,that must be the first dual headlight car,unless Cadalliac had them ,seem to remember some on else had them

I like the white single headlight car

Attachments

#8,016 ·
Something that I ran into about a month ago was very interesting. JC Whitney or parts people like them offered duel headlight conversions for Fords and maybe more brands. I'd never seen them until I was looking at a 57 to buy. Informed the gentleman he had a 58 but he straightened me right out. Never saw them before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.