Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#8,177 ·
Well I guess this was a stumper. All you Model T guys might reconize this little beauty. It's a Roof 16 valve ohv conversion for Model T! One of the better aftermarket speed part available for the good old "T". Designed and manufactured by Laurel Roof it saw a lot of action on the early board tracts. !910, 16 valves on a four cyl. engine. Pretty neat! Roof continued his designing to include parts for the Model A and B.

Somebody jump in here.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

#8,178 ·
I googled it BB and was impressed, very cool little motor. I could dig having a little speedster with a motor like that, driving a HOT ROD from almost a hundred years ago would be so damn cool.

Brian

#8,180 ·
The large Ford early V8 bolt pattern on the wheels, 5 on 5 1/2", what other American made vehicles used that pattern after Ford dropped it from the passenger cars in 1949? I only know of a few so there may be others.

Brian

#8,182 ·
You got it and more, I was thinking mostly the Chryslers would get you guys thinking, but alas, you are too good for me. :sweat:
My trailer made from the bed of my dad's 55 F-100 has the Chrysler wheels on it that were on his truck when use to drive it to high school. I think they are late 50's, they have many round holes all around the perimeter of the hub area.

It's your floor.

Brian

#8,184 ·
Do you know the exact year and model on that Hyundai? I am looking for a spare for my trailer, maybe they have a wagon wheel spare, that would be perfect!

Brian

#8,185 · (Edited)
Actually it is a Kia Sorento not a Hyundai as I thought ,I guess I should have looked it uo ,,
But that would not have been fair/: I tried to print this page but I don't think it will come thru

Akk jeep CJ had 5.5 the YJ and Cherokees changed to 4.5 bp,amd as far as I know all f 100 and 150 have 5.5 so a spare should not be hard to find.

I will quit editing after this ,but I believe the Suzuki Sanoria had same bolt pattern also and they came with white spoke wheels from the factory

#8,189 ·
Well that didn't take long
you are correct ,there were only 3 ,1983 corvettes built ,
I is at Boling Green plant ,1 is in a Musem
and the 3rd was destroyed by GM..:evil::evil::evil:
Officialy by GM there were NO 1983 Corvettes produced
I read this yesterday and don't remember the name of the musem

It is your floor

#8,190 ·
I had a customer we were doing a 40 Ford pickup at the time for, he came driving up in his new 84 Corvette, we were VERY impressed, what a cutting edge car that was (at the time) wow it was sooooo different than past Corvettes, I thought it was awesome. Now, I don't feel so much that way of course,but at the time I was impressed.

Brian

#8,191 ·
I have an 84 Corvette like you said ,at the time it was breakthrough technology it was advertised as a race car detuned for the street ??? 240 hp,? but now it is out of date as compared to the new Vettes with rear mounted transmissions for weight balance Near the magic 50/50 balance'but in its day they were kinda special.

#8,194 ·
BB, I had to google it, LOLOL, now THAT is funny stuff. I learned a lot about what the different companies did for marketing with similar trucks, damn that was interesting.

Brian

#8,199 ·
Ok, no one has responded with a question in over 24 hours so here goes. This is I believe the holy grail of automotive trivia questions. If one of you guys jumps on this I am going to go get drunk deeming myself a total failure!

One of my co-workers has a car this came from and when I heard about it I was blown away like finding out Hulk Hogan is really a woman, this is wild stuff.

What is this?

Brian

#8,202 ·
To narrow it down (for year) - It includes "Crankcase Ventilation Valve", but also notes "generator belt"

PCV valves came out when?
And which cars still had generators (instead of alternators) at that time?

Were crankcase ventilation valves installed on some cars (instead of road draft tubes) before they became mandatory?

"Inquiring minds wanna know"

#8,203 ·
Pcv systems came into use in the early 60's. Generators pretty much phased out by 65 in passenger cars thats why I picked pre 65. I don't see enough info to pin actual year. Judging by the edging this is a file card. It may not be punched but I'll bet it has a record of maintenance on it. Probably on the reverse side. The hidden portion has the Manufacturers or Dealership Name on it. It may have been filled out and placed in the customer glovebox after each servicing. If it is post 65 (but not by very much) it was in a GM product. GM referred to alternators as "generators" for a while. The hidden portion probably has the owners name as well.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#8,204 ·
LOLOLOL, oh my goodness, I have totally stumped the great BB, WHOO HOOOO.

I am so glad to see that I am not the only one that will be blown away at the existence of this! You will be BLOWN AWAY I guarantee it!

I will give you this BB, it's GM, and it's mid 60's. Ok, damn it I can't give you another photo yet, but it's difficult for me not to but I think it may give away too much. Damn it, call a life line or something. :evil:

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.