Trivia thread - Page 299 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 11:23 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Here's a very short discussion on one that appeared on e-bay in 2005:
1957 Oberhausen Supercharger - THE H.A.M.B.

There is an electric supercharger made today, but they claim an average of 5% increase, up to 15 hp. Not much for $300-350. Says it produces 1 psi only at WOT (and from other sources that's tops, 0.5 psi is average). 1.2 hp, draws 62 amps. Looking at the test results it appears that it's only been used on 3.0L engines and smaller, which makes sense. Even 0.5 psi will make a slight difference at WOT on a small engine, but not much. 5 hp on a 100 hp engine, and maybe more like 2.5-3 hp. Put two on a V-8 and get maybe a 10 hp gain for only $600-700!
eRacing :: Products :: e-RAM Electric Supercharger :: 1psi

This is a good article -- gives positives but also explains the negatives of an electric supercharger.
Electric supercharger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The main problem with an electric driven supercharger is the amount of electric power needed. This on (http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/04...r/viewall.html) has been around a while. Claims up to 10 psi, but only for a short time. It uses 24V -- you have to add a second battery and wire in a switching system that comes with the kit to keep the batteries charged. You can only run the thing for 20 seconds or less before the batteries are depleted enough it won't boost any more. Then you have to drive around until the batteries charge back up. Hope it has a circuit that cuts it out once the batteries are down so far, not so far it won't start back up! I read a bit about it on a discussion board and come to the same conclusion on my own -- for a few seconds just get a cheater 50-100 hp nitrous kit. Cheaper in the short term for sure. If you use it much you might run some costs up in nitrous, but only a little at a time.

Advertisement

Last edited by farna; 10-15-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 12:46 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
they made: Battery powered personnel vehicles Like the Amego, and cargo movers, among many other innovations he was in popular science magazine, the company still exists! I really didnt know the superchargers were that rare, I cant find any on the internet! But I did find the adds selling on e bay!

Boothboy, Your right!! did you find it in a pocket mag or on the internet?

Its really funny his superchargers were very good, I saw quite a few when I was young! but the electric one stuck in my mind. I asked about the solid propellent one on a thread quite a while back! with a firing pin that was on a rail at Detroit Dragway in the early 60's because I couldn't remember the name. I think now it was an "Oberhausen" I cant say for sure though its been so many years I would really like to know if anyone is still running any style of his chargers?

Jester
Ebay! Jester I think your thinking about the Turbonique supercharger. They also made a electric supercharge as well as units that used exotic additives.
Turbonique
Old 10-15-2012, 07:25 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Ebay! Jester I think your thinking about the Turbonique supercharger. They also made a electric supercharge as well as units that used exotic additives.
Turbonique
I know Turbonique very well I worked on a few ! The drag axles or rocket powered axles as some call them (very dangerous) like time bombs you didnt know when they would blow . And a couple of their liquid powered self propelled supercharger! that had the carb mounted on the supercharger and the charger mounted away from the engine and the fuel and boosted charge piped over and flanged to the intake!

The supercharger Im talking about was a solid propellant self propelled supercharger with a firing pin! it loaded like a cannon breach! when you pulled the cable in the C O C K pit of the drag car it fired and lit the propellant spinning the supercharger! I only saw one in my lifetime in the early 60s at a drag strip. but the Oberhausen literature talks about a solid propellant supercharger, along with the electric, exhaust driven and belt driven that they produced!
So I was guessing that was the one I saw? I don't know! If I saw a picture of it I would know for sure it could have been a home engineered unit that used a blank cartridge to spin it like the old aircraft engines?

What ever or whoever ? The thing was Neat as hell !

Jester
Old 10-15-2012, 10:29 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

That type of starter was called a Coffman Starter. Check this out.

Popular Mechanics - Google Books

Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Has a Question been asked? LOL!! I think I missed it!!!!

Jester
Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

That was a great movie, and yes that supercharger had a shell just like that but bigger in diameter and length and it was fired after the car left the line or any time you wanted it to kick in! Like I said I never saw anything like it again! I would really like to see that Oberhausen solid propellent supercharger!! It goes to show not everything's on the internet LOL!

Jester
Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Here's a easy one. Name five types of starting systems used on TRUCKS between 1930 and 1940.
BB
Old 10-16-2012, 12:09 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Here's a easy one. Name five types of starting systems used on TRUCKS between 1930 and 1940.
BB
Here I'll start you out. Electrical starter. There you go only four left!
BB
Old 10-16-2012, 02:39 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Hydraulic, hand crank, wound spring and air starter! that's the first four that pop into my head but if I'm right let someone else ask a question! I may be tied up tomorrow!

Good night: Jester
Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Jester I don't know of any spring started trucks and pneumatic starters weren't used on trucks, mostly stationary engines and boats. I'm looking for automotive applications. If you can site vehicles using those types I'll certainly stand corrected.
BB
Old 10-16-2012, 11:20 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Jester I don't know of any spring started trucks and pneumatic starters weren't used on trucks, mostly stationary engines and boats. I'm looking for automotive applications. If you can site vehicles using those types I'll certainly stand corrected.
BB
Came in for lunch LOL, those are just what popped in my head when I read your question. I thought of different ways I've seen engines started even pull string on lawn mowers LOL no google involved but I'll google them and see what the answer is if its on the internet LOL

Jester
Old 10-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
BB
I have to disagree with you BB. Air starters were commonly used on trucks at one time. I have called a service truck more than once because a Consolidated Freightway road tractor lost air pressure and could not operate the starter. Consolidated was the last I am aware of that finally abandoned the air starters and went to electric.

I retired from Freightliner in 2009 as a Senior Customer Support Rep. I lived this one.

John L
Old 10-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,323 Times in 1,148 Posts
And my favorite stater motor, the Buick nailhead starter cart for the fastest plane on earth the SR-71.

Brian

Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
And my favorite stater motor, the Buick nailhead starter cart for the fastest plane on earth the SR-71.

Brian

Now that is cool. Complete with headers.

John
Old 10-16-2012, 12:10 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I have to disagree with you BB. Air starters were commonly used on trucks at one time. I have called a service truck more than once because a Consolidated Freightway road tractor lost air pressure and could not operate the starter. Consolidated was the last I am aware of that finally abandoned the air starters and went to electric.

I retired from Freightliner in 2009 as a Senior Customer Support Rep. I lived this one.

John L
Thanks john: I sat on a air starter button once and the truck was in third gear while working in the cab and the thing lunged like a rocket and started it luged all the way through the lot with me scrambling to kill the engine!!! We also used Hydraulic starters
on some But I dont think they had them back in the 30s and 40s they could be adapted onto any engine industrial or vehicle.

Jester

Tags
humor, trivia

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.