Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#9,430 ·
Well Brian didn't follow up with a question so I'll ask one. I just ran across a very interesting article about Detroit and it's automobile heritage. That prompts me to ask all of you bright automobile aficionado's the following query.
What was Detroit's first V-8 and who used it?

BB :confused::confused:

Inquiring minds want to know.

#9,438 ·
Well two of you PM'd me with the correct answer so I'll tell everyone else. The question was "What was Detroit's first V-8 and who used it?"
The answer is;

James Scripts Booth's Bi-AutoGo.

Built as a design study and unveiled in 1913 Booth at the age of twenty four, designed and built the vehicle. The vehicle featured the first V-8 engine ever built in Detroit, possessed a compressed air self-starter, had a four-speed transmission, and even boasted a retractable arm rest. Aluminum bodied with no visible hinges and flush doors, it seated three with the front seat tipping forward to allow passengers entry to the rear. Apparently it steered lousy at slow speeds and that was a contributing factor as to why it was never produced.
Pretty nifty vehicle!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Some one jump in.
A

Attachments

#9,439 ·
One of the more fascinating things about it was the idea of the retractable "training wheels" that were extended to hold it upright when stopped and retracted for driving. (Manual extension & retraction via a lever in the cockpit - in today's Hi-Tech world they'd be automatic!)

The copper pipes were the radiator for the V8 engine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.