Trivia thread - Page 305 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 05:09 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

All Eagles are 4x4, same axles regardless of engine and trans combo -- that I know for sure!. I'll have to check on that! Maybe someone decided to make it heavy duty and put CJ knuckles on the front and axles in the rear. Hmmm.. not sure that can be done with the independent front suspension. If yours had a solid axle in front that's exactly what happened -- someone put CJ axles under it. I've asked some Eagle experts about this though, will post back.

To answer the question, the car company is DeSoto -- I have no idea WHY the attachment to the Mayflower ship though. I could look it up, but I'll wait and see if someone knows...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 05:19 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna View Post
All Eagles are 4x4, same axles regardless of engine and trans combo -- that I know for sure!. I'll have to check on that! Maybe someone decided to make it heavy duty and put CJ knuckles on the front and axles in the rear. Hmmm.. not sure that can be done with the independent front suspension. If yours had a solid axle in front that's exactly what happened -- someone put CJ axles under it. I've asked some Eagle experts about this though, will post back.

To answer the question, the car company is DeSoto -- I have no idea WHY the attachment to the Mayflower ship though. I could look it up, but I'll wait and see if someone knows...
Nope. BB
Old 10-25-2012, 05:19 PM

To answer the question, well, I'll give others a chance first! I thought it was DeSoto, but that's wrong. I looked it up, but I'll wait and see if someone knows before I spill the beans, just to be fair. In a couple days....
Old 10-25-2012, 05:27 PM

HA! Boothboy saw my post just as I was editing it!!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:59 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

Quote:
All Eagles are 4x4,
To answer the question, well, I'll give others a chance first! I thought it was DeSoto, but that's wrong. I looked it up, but I'll wait and see if someone knows before I spill the beans, just to be fair. In a couple days....

My guess would be Plymouth and it has a ship for the insignia the Mayflower.

Yes all Eagles are 4x4 this one is independent front, the slave cylinder is completely different then any other AMC eagle except for a few! I was told a special order heavy duty. and it was rare with a heavy towing package? But nothing has been changed.

Jester
Old 10-26-2012, 12:14 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
My guess would be Plymouth and it has a ship for the insignia the Mayflower.

Yes all Eagles are 4x4 this one is independent front, the slave cylinder is completely different then any other AMC eagle except for a few! I was told a special order heavy duty. and it was rare with a heavy towing package? But nothing has been changed.

Jester
You mean like this?
BB

Go for it!
BB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	z78.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	68610  
Old 10-26-2012, 10:18 AM

Well, if you had 5 x 5.5" wheels something was changed! I've never had an Eagle, but was pretty sure they used the 5 x 4.5" wheel pattern from the factory. Asking some long time Eagle enthusiasts confirms this. They did have a deep offset wheel like modern 4x4s, but same wheel pattern as AMC cars. Might have been the deep offset that caused you problems getting wheels...

I bet Plymouth is the make he's looking for! There was a Triumph Mayflower in the 49-50 time frame that was intended to look something like a mini Rolls (because the designer heard from someone that Americans like the Rolls Royce of the time). It was intended for the US market, but was a big flop even in the UK. It was called the "Mayflower" to interest Americans due to the England/US connection through the ship "Mayflower" and Pilgrims.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:20 AM

Well, if you had 5 x 5.5" wheels something was changed! I've never had an Eagle, but was pretty sure they used the 5 x 4.5" wheel pattern from the factory. Asking some long time Eagle enthusiasts confirms this. They did have a deep offset wheel like modern 4x4s, but same wheel pattern as AMC cars. Might have been the deep offset that caused you problems getting wheels...

I bet Plymouth is the make he's looking for! A rear view of the "Mayflower" ship was used on the emblem because the ship landed at Plymouth Rock.

There was a Triumph Mayflower in the 49-50 time frame that was intended to look something like a mini Rolls (because the designer heard from someone that Americans like the Rolls Royce of the time). It was intended for the US market, but was a big flop even in the UK. It was called the "Mayflower" to interest Americans due to the England/US connection through the ship "Mayflower" and Pilgrims.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:12 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
You mean like this?
BB

Go for it!
BB
Jester got it. Jester your up.
BB
Old 10-26-2012, 02:33 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

at the ---- (Year?) G.M motorama Cadillac had 2 vehicles the La Espada and the El Camino show cars! They were almost identical except for one main difference? Answer with the year and the difference?

I was reading an old magazine last night! and it was one of the articles. Ive been really busy and had nothing to ask my mind was blank!

On my Eagle when I try to buy parts for it like the slave cylinder or a few other parts Im told they never existed and this car was never made LOL even the Hemming experts are puzzled! LOL Maybe the axles and front wheel hubs interchange with something else I dont know A.M.C. Eagles well enough to make even an educated guess LOL ! I did work on an A.M.X. Eagle and an A.M.X Javelin at a track years ago and everyone tells me there was no A.M.X. eagle and the fur flies ! They were painted red white and blue and A.M.C. sponsored Race cars ! Most people remember them. When the AMX moved around 79. I bought this thing to put a small block and straight axle in. for my daughter but she hates it so its been in my yard forever. I have too many other projects! I like better LOL.

Jester
Old 10-26-2012, 04:41 PM

There is no AMX Eagle, never was. There is the Eagle Kammback and the Eagle SX/4. There is a Spirit based AMX. The Spirit and Eagle SX/4 are the same body, both hatchbacks. The Spirit and Concord came first, the Eagles were simply 4x4 versions of the Spirit (SX/4 hatchback, Kammback looked more like a Gremlin except for large rear side windows and of course 4x4) and Concord (the Eagle sedans and wagon). Sounds like you're confusing the Eagles with the Spirit and Concord.

The slave cylinder on the Eagles has always been a hard to get item, unique to the Eagle as far as I know. Only the 80-83 four cylinder 2WD cars used a hydraulic clutch and it may be the same as the Eagles, the six cylinder models used a mechanical linkage. All Eagles used hydraulic.

The 5 x 5.5" wheels is still a mystery. They had to have been put on from something else. The Ford trucks may have an independent hub that will work, or the Eagle hubs may be large enough to redrill for a 5.5" pattern. Rear axle could be from a CJ. Don't know...

You can get Eagle info from AMC Eagle Nest, LLC Home Page. If you have any questions join the forum and ask there, you'll get plenty answers! It sounds like you have a car that was highly modified by someone.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:34 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
. Sounds like you're confusing the Eagles with the Spirit and Concord.

You can get Eagle info from AMC Eagle Nest, LLC Home Page. If you have any questions join the forum and ask there, you'll get plenty answers! It sounds like you have a car that was highly modified by someone.
Your right I may be confusing them they look so much alike!

Jester
Old 10-26-2012, 07:01 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Jester I'm gonna hold up my answer on this one. I saw both these cars at the GM Motorama in 19-- at the Cow Palace in San Francisco when I was a little kid! Yeah I'm that old. Somewhere I think I still have my Motorama Token. They had a exhibit showing how electroplating was done and at the last stage you got a metal token! First time I ever saw a TV in a car! Back seat of a Caddy. And pretty ladies! Dagmars!
BB
Old 10-27-2012, 11:34 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Jester I'm gonna hold up my answer on this one. I saw both these cars at the GM Motorama in 19-- at the Cow Palace in San Francisco when I was a little kid! Yeah I'm that old. Somewhere I think I still have my Motorama Token. They had a exhibit showing how electroplating was done and at the last stage you got a metal token! First time I ever saw a TV in a car! Back seat of a Caddy. And pretty ladies! Dagmars!
BB
BB: answer it! I have to go to Indiana for a few days and wont be on the computer! That's why I posted such an easy question! I saw them too when I was very young with my family! the article I was reading was in an old 1958 pocket mag! and brought back memory's!

Jester
Old 10-27-2012, 11:48 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
BB: answer it! I have to go to Indiana for a few days and wont be on the computer! That's why I posted such an easy question! I saw them too when I was very young with my family! the article I was reading was in an old 1958 pocket mag! and brought back memory's!

Jester
Did you get your token?
BB

Tags
humor, trivia

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.