Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#10,345 ·
Ok, I had to google, but at least I was on the right track. Dusenburg. I was chatting with a fellow gearhead here at the computer and we thought old, twenties or thirties would be lubing chassis at only 80 miles and the first that came to our mind was Cord, but Duesenberg 1935 SJ model is the winner, and so am I!

Brian

Had to borrow this answer from Brian from an old post:D

Tough finding a question not easily found by googling so here is my effort.

What car had what historians generally consider the world’s first ‘onboard computer’ (OK the word ‘computer’ is used loosely), that told the driver by using a system of lights - when to change the oil, check the battery, and even automatically lubricated various places on the chassis every 80 miles

I don’t want this to be a trick question so I will tell you this device was mechanical and not electronic.

This was the question

#10,347 ·
BMW's Kommandogerät.
Air/fuel mixture, ignition timing, and idle speed were mechanically set and dynamically controlled by mechanical and pneumatic means. One of the earliest attempts to use such a unitized and automated device to manage multiple engine control functions simultaneously was the "Kommandogerät" created by BMW in 1939, for their 801 14-cylinder aviation radial engine. This device replaced the 6 controls used to initiate hard acceleration with one control in the 801 series-equipped aircraft. However, it had some problems: it would surge the engine, making close formation flying of the Fw 190 somewhat difficult, and at first it switched supercharger gears harshly and at random, which could throw the aircraft into an extremely dangerous stall or spin.

BB :sweat::sweat:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.