Trivia thread - Page 341 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,137 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceKoukalaka View Post
Looks like a thread gauge/chaser to me
I think you're right.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Yep that's what it is and a darned good one at that!
You've got the floor Bruce.
BB
Old 12-18-2012, 10:38 PM

Last journal entry: Getting it together.
Last photo:

So what is a better alternative to the panhard bar in a 4 link set up?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Well I got to tell you that about an hour away from where I live is the Calif State Railroad Museum. My wife won't go with me anymore as I drag any new visitor we get first to the Empire Gold Mine ( biggest producing gold mine in the world up until the 1990's , and the Empire shut down in 1957!) here in Grass Valley and then down to the Train Museum in Sacramento. It's one of the best museums in the USA. I love trains! The control bar your referring to is called "The Johnson Bar" I had to look that up as I couldn't remember it's name. Here's my old desk top picture. I saw this old guy passing through Lawrence Kansas a couple of years ago. It had been a static display in Cheyenne WY. for years in a park but finally got back on the rails. It was on its way back East. Fifteen years ago or so Sacramento hosted a Rail Fair. Old steamers came fron all over the USA to attend. There were Locomotives that were shipped from England! Can you imagine that! And we think we have a expensive hobby! It was absolutely wonderful. There are alot of people who collect private coaches and the hooked up with some of the Engines that were attending. I got my lawn chair and cooler and sat at a crossing out in farm land and watched them arrive. Absolutely breathtaking!

BB

BB, I love trains too. I went to the Old Town Sacramento back around 1989 to a HUGE rail fair there. The steam trains from Europe, were awesome! We have a nice one here in Niles near my home that we have been on many times. I have a friend with a Rail car.

His is like the first on in this picture.

Riding in these things is a BLAST. I went up and back thru Niles Canyon in on a rainy day a few years ago, it was such a blast.

The first thing I thought of when you guys were talking about old trains was my neighbor Mr Henderson. Scotty was 93 years old when I moved into this house about 15 years ago, his wife Betty was also 93! They had been married 72 years. He worked for Southern Pacific from 1922 until 1966! He had photos and memories that were out of this world. How about he lived in Truckee and use to walk the track to Reno inspecting it! That was a "shift" to walk to Reno for a quick inspection. Then the more elaborate inspection took longer, that is where he walk up the track about 30 feet inspecting under the lip of the track with a mirror on the end of a stick looking for cracks! He then walked back down the track on the other side inspecting that rail. Now get this, he bad better report where he saw the chalk marks his boss put there or his butt was grass. He worked in the round house that is now the rail museum in Sac! He lived and worked in Niles and was the foreman of this station. I forgot what it is called, not foreman, crap. Anyway, he had rail stuff all over his property, this house he bought in 66 when he retired. He gave me a bunch of stuff. I have a Christmas train out right now and put it up every year. He gave me a couple of tools of his like a huge Rail encyclopedia from the forties that he had his name and address in it and a also a large wrench with SP stamped on it. I gave both of those to the museum here in Niles when they opened it a few years ago. There is a street named after him in Niles. At the time I was a paint rep and would provide tech info to the Skunk Train up in Willits/Fort Bragg when they were restoring them. I got to go in the yard up there and literally go inside a boiler once, I got to hang out there quite a bit and it was a kick. I would come home and go next door to chat with Scotty and ask him questions about the steam engine I had just saw and he would tell me all about it like it was friggin yesterday that he worked with one! He was an amazing man. When the movie Titanic was out I went to see it and then visited him and told him so, he told me how he remembered when it launched and them talking about in school! He was amazing, drove his Volvo sedan until his 93 Birthday and then chose not to drive anymore. He and Betty Passed away about 8 months apart and were one of the most special couples I have ever seen.

I could go on and on taking about them.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 12-18-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceKoukalaka View Post
So what is a better alternative to the panhard bar in a 4 link set up?

A Watts link.

Brian

Old 12-18-2012, 10:51 PM

Last journal entry: Getting it together.
Last photo:

You're up Brian. I was trying to find something in my garage but was unable to.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:57 PM

Last photo:

Cool, what is this? And if you know how it works I want to know!

Brian

Old 12-19-2012, 06:19 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,290 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Well I got to tell you that about an hour away from where I live is the Calif State Railroad Museum. My wife won't go with me anymore as I drag any new visitor we get first to the Empire Gold Mine ( biggest producing gold mine in the world up until the 1990's , and the Empire shut down in 1957!) here in Grass Valley and then down to the Train Museum in Sacramento. It's one of the best museums in the USA. I love trains! The control bar your referring to is called "The Johnson Bar" I had to look that up as I couldn't remember it's name. Here's my old desk top picture. I saw this old guy passing through Lawrence Kansas a couple of years ago. It had been a static display in Cheyenne WY. for years in a park but finally got back on the rails. It was on its way back East. Fifteen years ago or so Sacramento hosted a Rail Fair. Old steamers came fron all over the USA to attend. There were Locomotives that were shipped from England! Can you imagine that! And we think we have a expensive hobby! It was absolutely wonderful. There are alot of people who collect private coaches and the hooked up with some of the Engines that were attending. I got my lawn chair and cooler and sat at a crossing out in farm land and watched them arrive. Absolutely breathtaking!

BB
You are right. I could not remember the name either and was too lazy to look it up. Wish I could have brought my lawn chair and joined you. That had to be a great day. If you get to Tennessee I can get you a ride in the cab for about a one hour excursion that includes one tunnel and turning around on an old turntable.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:04 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
You are right. I could not remember the name either and was too lazy to look it up. Wish I could have brought my lawn chair and joined you. That had to be a great day. If you get to Tennessee I can get you a ride in the cab for about a one hour excursion that includes one tunnel and turning around on an old turntable.
John the next time I do a show in Chattanooga I just might take you up on that!
BB
Old 12-19-2012, 08:17 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Brian was it 1989? Boy time sure fly's! That Fair was just amazing. I'v never heard of another one like it. Have you? There use to be a guy in Folsom that owned a Diesel Switcher. He had about 100' of track that paralleled his driveway and used to run it back and forth. I've always wanted a caboose!
BB
Old 12-19-2012, 08:29 AM

Last photo:

It looks like it was 91, and the next one being in the late 2000 teens. So keep your calendar open! Railfair Events

I guess they had another one in 99 for the 150th anniversary of California that we missed.

That really was a very memorable event. We took a ride in a passenger car down the track along the river. I have to say that our Niles train is pretty neat, it only goes a few miles, but it is pretty neat. Those volunteers have a LOT of passion and do a spectacular job. It's pretty cool that the federal government has taken over the maintenance of the track since 9/11 as it is a bypass of the one used everyday for commercial use. After 9/11 they got to looking at it and realized that the old track was very valuable in case of an emergency and even replaced the overpass over the main road in the area that was going to be knocked down when they widened it. That was the last leg of the track going into the town of Niles and it really would have screwed up the whole show. But it was rebuilt and they run strong. Right now they have the Polar express Niles Canyon Railway - eLivermore.com which is a ball. They have a wine train run that my wife and I took, it was spectacular, we really had a good time learning about wines and pairing, very nice time indeed.

Brian
Old 12-19-2012, 11:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Cool, what is this? And if you know how it works I want to know!

Brian

I think that's a vortex tube. As far as I know, it works through a process called FM (F***in' Magic). You hook up an air hose to the center port, and hot air comes out one end of the tube, and freezing cold air comes out the other end. It's FM.

Vortex tube - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-19-2012, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

Yep, frying hot air out of one end and freezing cold out of the other.

What's if for?

Brian
Old 12-19-2012, 04:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
What's it for?
My friend works in a microbiology lab. They use them to cool things down and flash freeze specimens. He says the ones they use put out -60 F.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:20 PM

Last photo:

Joe that is not what I was after but it is so damn interesting and with the link you posted on how it works, the floor is yours.

The one in the picture is a SnapOn Blue point Choke tester!

Brian

Tags
humor, trivia

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.