Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#12,688 ·
I'm going to give it to Brian but both of you guys are correct. 50's Fords with Y blocks used Holly 4000 carburetors. As I said in my last response maybe it was a So Cal piece of slang. We always called those leaky monstrosities "Toilet Seats" or "Fire Bombs". I never heard "Tea Pots" but it sure makes sense! I think those carbs were the reason why most of the 6v Fords were converted to 12v systems. You just left the six volt starter in and you had a chance that your car might start.

I went to tri power.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

#12,697 · (Edited)
They were also used in MGC and MGBGT and a few more

Some one ask a question I have to leave for a while,

The MGBGT hardtop like this used the buick also and the MGC Convertible was offered with the v8 buick but noy many were sold

Don't look at the grass I cant mow right now so my Grandson attemts to mow for me,LOL tried to post video but having Problems with my computer,

#12,704 ·
"Why do you like that car"? (the Rangy)

I dunno - maybe you hate reliability?
Maybe you love a constant need to service & fix stuff?
Maybe electricals that start fires are your thing?
Maybe you like having the new car dealer keep telling you "that part isn't covered by warranty"?
Maybe the thought of air suspension that fails regularly and costs about a zillion bucks per corner to fix turns yer crank?

I dunno. Why DO you like it?

#12,707 ·
Hope this isn't too far off topic to go here but I didn't want to start a new thread just for this. (fingers crossed)

Was watching "Thunder Road" for the 100K time it seemed but this time I paid attention to the credits and learned that, not only did Robert Mitchum star in it but he also produced the film, co-wrote the screenplay, and is rumored to have directed much of the film himself. He also co-wrote along with Don Raye, the theme song "The Ballad of Thunder Road". He did not sing the Movie soundtrack but did record it later.

Daggone, all of a sudden I feel so knowledgeable for some reason :D:D:D:D:D

#12,713 ·
Found this ,,Very interesting:D
Thunder Road (1958) - IMDb
Yes indeed and another interesting thing that I observed for the first time. Seems like the "good guys" (hard working moonshiners) all drove Fords but the "bad guys' (Feds & Mob) drove Chevys and Buicks. Was that because the Fords were expendable, since they did wreck a few, or because they could outrun the Chevys and Buicks? :D:D:D:D:D

IMCDb.org: "Thunder Road, 1958": cars, bikes, trucks and other vehicles

Just an observation and in no way a statement of fact. :nono::nono::spank::boxing::smash: Let the flaming begin :D:D:D

#12,715 ·
:D:D I do remember seeing an awful lot of carb throats on that '50 and I know mine did NOT have that many when I was in College :D:D I guess the "Shiners" not only cheated the Gooberment out of tax revenue (only reason to control it) but wasn't it cheating to have a souped up engine when ?they didn't have one? - - maybe the Goober Garage didn't know how. :nono::D:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.