Trivia thread - Page 379 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Wait a minute, that answer is not why they were built different. It just tells who built them different. The question was "why" they were different.

BB
Don't you think if Ford had built them all the construction would have been all steel? Ford made the 5 window coupe all steel. They would have no reason not to make the 3 window coupe all steel too.

Murray was in financial trouble for years. I really believe they just did not have the ability to keep up with modern manufacturing updates which eventually led to their demize.

Now tell me again, Why did the Tigers loose last year?

John L

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Seeing as how I have this book..For 1936 Ford just couldn't keep the same door handles for the cars they built. How many types of handles were there (think shape and material) and how many times were the handles changed for the 1936 year.

A bonus question: For the 1936 5 window coupe, the rear window differed from the 35, how was it different?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger View Post
Seeing as how I have this book..For 1936 Ford just couldn't keep the same door handles for the cars they built. How many types of handles were there (think shape and material) and how many times were the handles changed for the 1936 year.

A bonus question: For the 1936 5 window coupe, the rear window differed from the 35, how was it different?
You have sunk the hook in me dinger. I know both years had roll down rear windows in the rumble seat coupes. Could it be that in 36 they only put the roll down window in the rumble seat cars but not the trunk models?

John L
Old 01-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
You have sunk the hook in me dinger. I know both years had roll down rear windows in the rumble seat coupes. Could it be that in 36 they only put the roll down window in the rumble seat cars but not the trunk models?

John L

Wow if John don't know then no need for me to even try lol. As for the handles, are you asking about the inside or outside? I know they had the standard that was pretty much straight and the deluxe that had a curve, but thats about it for me
Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I should clarify this, I didn't get to my second cup of coffee when I posted. The rear quarter windows are the windows in question. Also it is the exterior door handles.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe G View Post
It's amazing stuff. On that Edsel taillight picture I posted a while back, I cropped and resized the pic, photoshopped out some emblems, and renamed the file, but the reverse image search still recognized it.

It's magic.
I got pretty excited by this ... and thought it would work GREAT at the auto parts counter, as LOTS of guys will bring in their smart-phone and say "I don't know what you call this ... but do you have one?"

So far ... it hasn't worked well for that.

I think the picture in question has to be previously existing in order to find it?
I know enough about phtography to tell you that most digital pics contain "EXIF" data that can tell you the make of the camera, the aperature and shutter speed used, a filename, and (if the camera has built-in GPS capability) the exact location of where the pic was taken. Perhaps they search using this information?

Kinda "Big Brother-ish" in a way isn't it ???
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC View Post
I got pretty excited by this ... and thought it would work GREAT at the auto parts counter, as LOTS of guys will bring in their smart-phone and say "I don't know what you call this ... but do you have one?"

I think the picture in question has to be previously existing in order to find it?
I know enough about phtography to tell you that most digital pics contain "EXIF" data that can tell you the make of the camera, the aperature and shutter speed used, a filename, and (if the camera has built-in GPS capability) the exact location of where the pic was taken. Perhaps they search using this information?

So you have to go in and alter some of the info in the picture to mess up a reverse search?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC View Post

I don't think it uses EXIF data to match the pics. It was able to match a pic that I captured as a screenshot and saved as a .bmp.

You'll also notice that, in the search results, below the matches are 'visually similar' pics. Most of them are just pics with similar colors and shapes, but you can use keywords in the search line to narrow down the visually similar images. As an experiment, I took a fresh picture of a Old Air Products servo heater valve (on a white background), uploaded it for reverse image search, and then added the keywords 'heater valve' to the search line, and on the first page of results, there was a pic of another Old Air Products servo heater valve. It's amazing.

It's probably not good enough to do what you were hoping it would, but I'm sure it'll only get better over time.

Joe G.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFarmer2 View Post
So you have to go in and alter some of the info in the picture to mess up a reverse search?
I don't think we need to worry about it. We are all honorable people here. If I decided to cheat to find an answer, I just bite my tongue until the next question. We all know that googling or going through your book or magazine collection to find an answer is cheating. (googling or searching through books/magazines to confirm your suspicions is fine though, in my opinion).

If you (someone/anyone) cheated to find an answer, just don't answer. If you lie to us about it, then shame on you.

There's no reason for concern, just carry on as usual.....

Joe G.

Last edited by Joe G; 01-14-2013 at 07:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe G For This Useful Post:
carolinacustoms (01-15-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Wait a minute, did I get caught?
Darn!

BB
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Looks like no one knows..35 quarter windows slid back, 36 windows opened like a vent window. The 36 door handles started straight, went to curved, went back to straight and as Carolina stated, did the curved for the Deluxe models for the rest of the year. Chrome and stainless were the materials used.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
I was clueless, but damn I love that year Ford.

Brian
Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger View Post
Looks like no one knows..35 quarter windows slid back, 36 windows opened like a vent window. The 36 door handles started straight, went to curved, went back to straight and as Carolina stated, did the curved for the Deluxe models for the rest of the year. Chrome and stainless were the materials used.
Hey Dinger. Double check yourself on those quarter windows. The book shows the same seals and garnish moldings. Could you be confusing the 33-34 model years or 2 door sedan? As far as I know none of the coupe windows opened.

John L

Last edited by John long; 01-16-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 AM

Last photo:

Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Wait a minute, did I get caught?
Darn!

BB
LMAO,

IMO, Anybody that says he has never used search engines or other reference material to answer a trivia question is either LYING or hasn't answered many questions.

I did not know about the reverse image search, but now I do.

Nolan
Old 01-17-2013, 08:01 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Two easy ways to avoid reverse imaging your photo's. Re-name the photo as you save it or start using Google Chrome as your browser. I like GC better than IE. Better spell check for the Hotrodders.com site. If it wasn't for that handy item you guys wold know that I'm a bigger illiterate idiot then I appear to be! As far as reverse imaging I don't think it's a option with Chrome.

BB

Tags
humor, trivia

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.