Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#13,530 ·
Yep, you have it, it's an override for when the battery is dead. You pull that cover off and push it down with something, the ignition key works perfect, or a screw driver of course.

It's your floor!

Brian

#13,535 ·
You got it, 496CHEVY3100, The Honda Gyro-Cator Navigation System first appeared in 1981. :thumbup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro_Gyrocator

I always carried a bunch of maps for navigating when I was traveling. If that counts then my '67 Cougar had a "map-based navigation system" in it :D
Haha. A friend of mine had a stock 37 Olds and referred to his compass and map light as his navigation system. :thumbup:

#13,553 ·
Yes, Cadillac had one in 1913. I was looking for Studebaker in 1914 which is posted on the internet. Boothboy enlightened me via email about the incorrect internet info. :) There is an earlier one than the Cadillac. Anyone want to take a shot at trying to find the car and year that BB discovered? If so, I'd like BB to respond to the answers and post his info whenever he deems the time to be right.

#13,554 ·
Seems the Cadillac was not dash mounted as was the studebaker:confused:

Let's try this question: Which make of car had the first dash mounted gas gauge? Bonus: Name the year this feature first appeared

The first instrumentation to appear was actually the speedometer, but the introduction of more-or-less modern electrical systems (first seen in the 1912 Cadillac), spurred on the rapid evolution of automobile instrumentation and other related developments. By 1914, Studebaker introduced the very first dash-mounted fuel gauge. Other manufacturers started to install tank-mounted mechanical gauges at around this time, but the available of either type of gauge was spotty for a number of years.

mechanical gas gauge
This type of mechanical gas gauge replaced the gas cap in early automobiles.

In 1925, Rickenbacker offered the first electrical fuel gauge. Since this early fuel gauge was wired straight to the battery, and not a keyed ignition like modern vehicles, it was button operated. In order to check the fuel level, the driver had to press a button to close the circuit.

Fuel Gauge Components

Every fuel gauge consists of two basic component parts:
◾an indicator
◾a sensor or sending unit

Fuel gauges can also include:
◾a float
◾a potentiometer

Fuel Gauge Operation

#13,555 ·

Attachments

#13,563 ·
It is an adapter but I can't say if it was used with a power steering pump, it was something else that I got it from. What proof do you have on this power steering pump theory?

Brian

#13,578 ·
With a little help from the more informed, here's the history:

The invention of the modern cruise control system is credited to inventor and Automotive Hall of Famer, Ralph Teetor- a man who couldn’t actually drive due to being completely blind.

The inspiration for the cruise control system struck Teetor while he was riding with his lawyer in the 1940s. He noticed the lawyer had a tendency to slow down while talking and speed up while listening. This annoyed Teetor, who decided to come up with a device to control the speed of the car automatically. After several years of tinkering, in 1948 he filed his first patent for a device to accomplish just this. (US 2519859)

#13,581 ·
Here is a rare accessory that was European-made, and available for Chevrolet and Oldsmobile models of the early 50's. Most required a specially designed part in order to use this obscure accessory. It could also be retro-fitted by re-configuring a part that was already installed on the car. Another European company made a similar accessory, mostly for Mopar vehicles, which had the same function, but installed differently, and operated somewhat different. I'm looking for the name of the company that made it, and what it's function was.
(face of item is blocked out for obvious reasons.)

Attachments

#13,584 · (Edited)
Ok I have to pat myself on the back for this one!. It took me awhile to figure this one out. And I must say I've never seen one either.

BYB I think you made a ystake with your questio. True the company made a unit for early 1950's Oldsmobiles and Chevy's (I can't find a reference about Pontiac's, but I believe you) but the unit you have posted I believe is universel and not brand specific.

Let this question go a little longer. It's a good one!

That is one fine automotive accessory!!

BB :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

BYB I'm going to PM you with the answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.