Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#14,258 ·
It was much later than I thought,i will leave it open and let someone else answer the question,Hint

1930’S -- STOVING ENAMELS & A DENTIST INVENTS THE SPRAY GUN.

During the early 30’s the auto industry started using "stoving enamels" based on alkyd resins. Initially the product was applied much like the "varnish" used earlier. These enamels were originally selected because of a higher gloss yield than varnish. They were also thicker and applied a little faster. Then somewhere between 1930 and 1940 a dentist developed the "spray gun." The spray gun application was much faster than the brush method. It minimized sanding between coatings and applied the product evenly. Now, what used to take over a month, could be done in a third of the time. This product and process was the system of choice for most vehicle manufacturers until the 1950’s.

#14,262 ·
Joe Binks got it started with a spray machine that worked like your garden sprayer before the turn of the Century. In 1919 Tom Devilbiss improved on his father's design and produced a hand held gun similar to what was used for years. Dupont developed nitrocellulose lacquer and more importantly lacquer thinner in the twenties and in 1924 The first Oakland Motor was sprayed and all those old brush painter and block sanding guys said "Thank God!"
The paint was Dupont Duco and it took the painting process from months to days.
A little side note. The wetting agent use during the sanding process was Gasolene. Can you imagine what those guys hands looked like? Smoking on the job was probably frowned upon.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

#14,264 ·
You got it, BB. :cool:

1924 Oakland sprayed with DuPont in a DeVilbiss is what I was looking for. Thanks! Honestly on the semi question, I Ctrl +'ed until I could almost make out the writing on the side and let google do the rest.

#14,275 ·
I vote for the 61 Chrysler Imperial, what do you guys think are the oddest ever?

Brian

The tail lights on that car look like an after-thought to me. Like the designer sculpted the clay of the prototype, everyone loved it, but no-one noticed the lack of tail lights... "OH CRAP!! We forgot the lights! QUICK! Throw something, anything on there!" Not the worst I've seen, though.

Dave

#14,284 ·
The more I look at that 61 Fury, the more I am in love! This car would make an awesome sled with a few mods, mainly doing something with those taillights. Such nice lines! I have enjoyed looking at these pics, we could use some styling these days, something refreshing.

Reactions: MARTINSR
#14,286 ·
That was to be a very interesting automobile indeed! Electric motors to each wheels and powered by a hydrogen/oxygen fuel cell. It would also have featured a a padded dashboard, seat belts and collapsible steering column for safety, along with a built in refrigerator, television and stereo sound system. In 1959 no less!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.