Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#14,755 ·
LOL, no, it's not a COE. I'm sorry, most of the guys here know that I built this truck back in the seventies.

I drove it around a little like this. You can see the engine and trans pan under the cab.

And this.

Sorry to have messed with you guys.

Brian

#14,764 ·
OK since no one has asked anything in awhile I'll plunge forward with a query of sorts.

First thing I'll end this before it starts.

Brian did not invent the C.O.E.

That being said, which company did produce the first true C.O.E?

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

hint #1
re-read the question

Attachments

#14,779 ·
Bubba got it! The 1907 Sternberg Was the first true COE Truck. In order to be a COE the vehicle has to have a cab and a cab has to have a roof. A number of vehicles with the engine under the seat predate the Sternberg but no roof. You have to remember that Air Conditioning hadn't been invented yet and those earlier ones were hot.

#14,781 ·
This is what I found when I looked up "First COE".
https://autocartruck.com/about#history
America's First Truck

1899 - Ardmore, Pennsylvania
Autocar was at the heart of an industrial revolution when it built the first motor truck commercially available in the United States in 1899. The Autocar delivery wagon boasted a payload capacity of 700 pounds and optional 5 or 8 horsepower motors. The “engine-under-the-seat” design maximized area for freight and was the precursor of Autocar’s Cab-Over-Engine design used on every Autocar today.
The first Autocar truck was also “purpose-built,” in this case, to carry and deliver packages. Its design was declared to be so simple to use that any driver “can operate it with more safety than he could drive a horse”.
America’s First Truck: Ancestor to all modern trucks and the beginning of Autocar’s legendary dedication to purpose-built vehicles.

#14,783 ·
One of two things.

While rummaging around in your attic you came across your long lost Hopalong Cassidy Gun Belt complete with authentic Official Hopalong Cassidy Six-Shooters (and a role of Armstrong Red Caps) and Official Hopalong Cassidy Cowboy Hat. Apparently the hat no longer fits hence your home made hat-stretcher.

OR a very cruel joke on the Janitor who works at the Acme Driving School for the Blind.

Gotta be one or the other.

Attachments

#14,784 ·
You got it BB, a hat stretcher. I bought this World Series hat at the first game 2010 and it was made in China. My American made hat the same size works perfect, but apparently the hat size doesn't mean anything in China. :rolleyes:

It's your floor once more!

Brian

Attachments

Reactions: CrashFarmer2
#14,788 ·
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post

Here's a three parter.

What is this?

What does it do?

How does it work?

You need all three answers!!

1. It's an accessory for first time parachute jumpers.
2. It sends a jolt of electricity to idiots who think it's a good idea to jump out of a perfectly good airplane to remind them that it's not such a good thing to do.
3. I don't know. Do I look that dumb?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.