Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#15,184 ·
The Race!! Bentley Boys!!

The Gurney Nutting Coupé is nicknamed "The Blue Train" after the famous French train,"Le Train Bleu" which it was credited to have beaten in 1930 in a race between Côte d’Azur to Calais France. Ah! But the Gurney Nutting coach was not back from the coach builder, Gurney Nutting, in time for that race. The body was still under construction. The owner, Woolfe Barnardo, also had a Mulliner body awaiting another Straight -Six Bentley chassis and it is said that the Mulliner body was fitted to the Blue Train chassis and this was the combination that actually won the Race!

They are still trying to figure it out.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

#15,188 ·
Here is a query for you GM freaks!

In the mid 50's GM offered a component called a "Redliner".
What was a "Redliner" and what was it used for? Please show a picture of one if you can.

I'm not sure if it was offered as a accessory or just came standard on certain models. The term "Redliner" was taken from ta GM sales brochure. I had one on one of my own cars and never knew it proper name.

#15,194 ·
The only thing that comes to mind was the late 50's early 60's Buick speedometer.

Darn Bubba, your good!. That's exactly what Buick called it's drum speedo, the "Redliner". They even went as far as to list it in their sales brochure. First application started in 1953 in their Super and Roadmaster series.
I'm not sure if any other of the GM line used them.

1955 Buick Super

#15,195 ·
Darn Bubba, your good!. That's exactly what Buick called it's drum speedo, the "Redliner". They even went as far as to list it in their sales brochure. First application started in 1953 in their Super and Roadmaster series.
I'm not sure if any other of the GM line used them.

1955 Buick Super
Those look a lot like the speedometer in my 69 Lincoln.

#15,198 ·
That speedo caught my eye.

OH damn that brought back a memory as my mom had a 60 Buick.

What was the super odd thing about the speedo. GON'T GOOGLE IT!

HOLY CRAP do I remember this and it was so friggin cool, odd.

Brian

#15,199 ·
And I do not think that is a 60 Buick speedo you guys posted. Not unless my mom's car had an option that isn't there. I don't know, I know it was a 60 and it was a LeSabre four door I believe. It had a very odd feature on the speedo.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.