Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#15,210 ·
Whelp I guess you guys gave up.

The speedo was backward, we are talking all the numbers, they were backward and you saw it in a mirror!

The mirror was on a pivot that you could change with a little wheel up on the dash. So you could change how you saw it depending on how tall you were you could rotate the mirror to a perfect view of the speedo. :D

Come on someone throw one out there.

Brian

#15,224 ·
Hemp can be used for a LOT of stuff. Hemp rope is the most common usage, but there are lines of hemp clothing, hemp-based foodstuffs (I have eaten hemp ice cream), and the seeds are an oil-crop for many uses as well. (Uses for hemp are quite similar to flax)

Law-enforcement agencies HATE commercial hemp - growing operations due to air-photo signatures being very similar to marijuana grow-ops, which complicates their enforcement activities.

#15,229 ·
Until Crash is ready here's one:

"Undertaker's Delight" was the nickname for which automotive activity 100 years ago?

A. Multiple cars racing to cross the tracks just ahead of a passing train.
B. Professional polo played from the seats of Ford Model-Ts instead of on the backs of horses.
C. Driving a car not equipped with headlights after dark.

#15,231 ·
No.

It's been long enough since this one was posted so here's the answer:

"Undertaker's Delight" was the nickname for which automotive activity 100 years ago?

A. Multiple cars racing to cross the tracks just ahead of a passing train.
Answer B. Professional polo played from the seats of Ford Model-Ts instead of on the backs of horses.
C. Driving a car not equipped with headlights after dark.

Attachments

#15,243 ·

Paul Bryant was 7 years old when he saw a newspaper photo of the 1936 Cord. It “just jumped off the page,” he said. As a youngster, he would ride his bike to Tadlock’s Garage near 43rd and Mission Road just to glimpse one. The Cord left an image on his soul that has blossomed into a lifelong obsession with this unique automobile.

He bought his first, a supercharged convertible coupe, more than 40 years ago, and he has also restored a 1936 prototype called the Coppertone Cord. But the Cord that resonates with him most of all is the E-1, a prototype that may be the rarest of all Cords. Bryant saw the body 26 years ago in a barn near Plato Center, Ill. It had no engine, no fenders, and no grille shell. Careful examination revealed that it was the prototype for a gigantic 1932 Cord limousine town car that was likely to be the personal car of E. L. Cord. With a wheelbase of 157.625 inches, it was 20 inches longer than the L-29 Cord and bigger than a Duesenberg. The engine was initially a V-16 engine of 200 horsepower, but it was reduced to 12 cylinders. The prototype was driven 779 miles, but the stock market crash killed plans for the big Cord and it was dismantled.

After finding the body, Bryant displayed the hulk at the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Ind. Bryant then moved the car to Stan Gilliland’s Auburn/Cord Parts restoration shop in Wellington, Kan., where it sat for years. One by one, the missing parts were located. The grille shell was found in Ohio, the fenders in Arizona and the engine in a remote corner of the Auburn Automobile Company’s power plant.

Bryant’s dedication to restoring Cords is amazing. When he was working on his Coppertone Cord, he lived in Gilliland’s shop. For 10 months, he worked six days a week, sleeping in a sleeping bag on a pad behind the hulk of E-1. He would rise at 7 a.m. and work until 10 p.m. On Saturday afternoon he would drive back home to his wife Martha, and leave again on Sunday evening.

Last August, after 26 years, E-1 was completed just in time to be trucked to California for the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. The E-1finally had an elegant coming-out party.
So what did Bryant do with E-1? He donated it to the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Ind., where it has a place of honor.

#15,246 ·
Tmp. That e 1 is a beautiful looking car, I really love it, how cool would it be to drive that beast around town. When growing up 2 old guys who lived up the road used to restore and drive their huge old cars around our streets, I don't know what they were but I'm guessing old 30s bentleys or similar. Big cars always left an impression on me. Thanks for the pic and info, I enjoyed the read.

Later gator
Russ

#15,247 ·
Yes indeed it is the 1932 E. 1 Cord Prototype. It's sitting in the front showroom of the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, ID. and it's absolutely fabulous to see in person. I've been privilege to see both this beauty and
A Bugatti Royal (then owned by Briggs Cunningham). Both of these Giants were huge beyond belief. The picture do not due them justice. Wonderful beauties!

TMP give us a good one!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

If anyone is going through IN. Jump off 80 and check out the ACD Museum. It's right next door to the National Truck Museum. You won't regret it!

Bugatti T-41

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.