Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#15,391 ·
What I did was what Rambler should have done, made the upper tie bar bolt in! I got one from my parts car, cutting it longer than the cuts I made on Marge. Then reshaped the ends so the replacement would fit over the pieces on Marge and made it bolt it! WHAM, done deal.

By the way, on Marge there is NO WAY you could install them as an assembly from the top, impossible. The were installed from the bottom with the lower crossmember removed. I couldn't get her up that high so I re-designed her. :D

Brian

Attachments

#15,392 ·
Nice! I see what you've done, I'll keep that in mind for the next time I run across one that's in my way. :) It kind of reminds me of my favorite method to uninstall/reinstall engine and transmissions in vans. Have the van on a trailer facing backwards, unhook everything and put the cherry picker engine hoist on the ground behind the trailer and gradually move the trailer bit by bit until the engine is removed or in the right place for installation.

#15,399 ·
A few years back I was putting an engine in a four wheel drive Ford truck. The engine hoist was topped out and I was already chocked up as far as I could on the chain but still missed getting the sump over the core support by about 4 inches...So I just let the air out of the front tires. Okie inginuity at it's best. LOL!!

#15,401 ·
Had to do this to swing the 455 into my 69 GP because the nose is so long. Seems like I have removed front wheels and let one sit on a jack lowered to where the brakes were almost on the floor also. Maybe it was the Mach1 I fixed.

Brian that is a weird looking thing. :confused:

#15,410 ·
It sort of reminds me of those old wiper cranks for the vacuum wipers on the first school bus I rode. It was a 55 1/2 to 57 Chevy bus, that's as near as I can narrow it down to but I used to watch those cranks go back and forth when the wipers were in use on the way to and from school. I suppose if they didn't work the idea was to draft a kid to operate them. :D

#15,416 ·
Yep, I went to a bus museum yesterday, damn that was a lot of fun. I rode a school bus every single day elementary school and jr high and most of high school. Have a lot of memories going through those farm roads picking up kids hoping Cindy Hillard would sit by me. :D

It's your floor!

Brian

Attachments

#15,420 ·
At the end of his shift when he'd pull into the two level parking garage he'd scoot the seat back, take the 50 cal. ammo box that he carried his changer and tranfers in and lay it flat on the floor so I could stand on it. It was just enough so I could see out the mirrors and get some leverage on that big wheel. He'd work the pedals and I'd steer. He taught me where the bus pivoted at rear axle and when to steer. I really though I was the big dog parking that thing in the garage at 10 years old. LOL!!

#15,422 ·
Yeah, I know about that as I drive the tow truck at work. You REALLY have to remember things when you get behind the wheel. I have jumped islands and I have came VERY close to hitting a car in the next lane with the rear of the bed on the truck! YEOW that is a scary creepy feeling and nothing even happened, but DAMN it was close.

I would like to get to the Greyhound museum, hell yes.

Brian

#15,429 ·
Brian, did they tell you that Greyhound started in Hibbing MN ??? They have a big museum up there.

Inside the Greyhound Bus Museum[/QUOTE]

Strange but true story: A friend of mine in High School had property in Virginia, MN. (about 1969) We were up there shooting squirrels and anything else that got in the way, when he asked me if I wanted to see an old odd car. It was about 40 feet off the road, had trees growing up through it. I told my old boss at the body shop I worked in, Wally Cich, he got very excited, had me take him up there the following weekend. It was the remains of one of the first Greyhound conversions. I wish I could remember the guy that Wally knew that built these things, used to do the coachwork in the Virginia area, then had a shop in Duluth. (might have been Art Lambert) The buses started out by hauling the iron ore miners around. The old dude that built these had a few extra bucks, a choice of investing in Coca Cola or Greyhound, he chose Greyhound because he did work for them. Greyhound went broke in the depression. Coke did well...

#15,439 ·
Ok, a stupid one here. We were working on this VW Passat, replaced the trunk lid and latch. Nothing was working on the trunk, no power latch, no park lamps, back up lamps, license lights, nothing. Every one in the shop looked at this thing, we were working as a team and spent a bunch of time. Fuses were checked, a ground was ran to the lid thinking that the paint between the new hinges and lid were causing a problem, nothing. Then we found that a wire was cut in the harness for some stupid trailer hitch wiring and the latch worked when checked WHOO HOOOO!

But the damn lights still didn't work! NOTHING! Ok, a couple guys worked on this thing another hour at least looking for the problem and then by accident someone fell upon the answer.

What was the answer?

Brian

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.