Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#15,701 ·
I believe we already knew this from when he built the car. But he got a book with the differences from 37-40 and it is mind blowing the detail of stuff in that book. We are talking splitting hairs like the difference in a light switch from one day on the assembly line to the next.

Brian

#15,704 ·
They could have easily used the Deluxe crossmember on the standard, they were going over the top to have a special standard crossmember, it really wasn't that necessary.

Brian

#15,719 · (Edited)
Straight 6 in standard, V8 in deluxe... would have been my guess on the '39 Ford...

But those pictures remind me of something, the standard front fenders look much more expensive to make than the ones on the deluxe model...

Just like the lower priced '61 Chevy Biscayne sedan with a roof extension over the back window to make it look ugly looked more expensive to make than a '61 Bel Air Hardtop...

There's also something that doesn't jive in the photos above...
. I imagine the Ford flathead water pumps shared the belt and pulleys...

#15,720 ·
Straight 6 in standard, V8 in deluxe... would have been my guess on the '39 Ford...

But those pictures remind me of something, the standard front fenders look much more expensive to make than the ones on the deluxe model...

. I imagine the Ford flathead water pumps shared the belt and pulleys...
LOL, keep guessing on the v8-60 question. :mwink:

John

#15,729 ·
In 1953 GM introduced the term "Roto Static". What was "Roto Static" i reference to? never made it into production models but became popular at the later years of the 20th century and continues to do so today.)
OK... had to look that up... LOL!

Not really a trivia question, but anybody have any experience with the Chevy 3 speed automatic tranny of the late 1950's? TurboGlide/TerribleGlide... Up until recently, I wasn't even aware they ever made such a thing! Did it work well, when it worked? Was it offered on a 409" engine? Seemed to be just the automatic the 409 needed instead of the 2 speed PowerGlide/PowerSlide... Or the 4 speed Hydramatic should have been made an extra cost option... Although Olds, Pontiac, and Caddy prolly would have screamed about that, it was their main higher price car selling point...
http://etereman.com/blog/general-motors-transmission/the-chevy-turboglide-a-great-idea-on-paper

#15,733 ·
Ok guys here you go.. Roto Static is Hubs on the wheel that remain upright and have a scoop designed into it to Cool brakes..

Here is a excerpt:

Separate from the body, but distinctive in its own right, the front wheel disc design features 'Roto Static' hubs that remain stationary. The functional purpose of this design is seen in the air scoop that is built in to provide additional brake cooling. Cooling of rear tires and brakes is heightened by a series of louvers in the fender panels.:cool:

#15,734 ·
That's a better description than what I found. The Roto Static Wheel Cover was a feature found on GM 1953 Buick Wildcat. The wheel would turn but the cap remained stationary. Never made it into production.
We did see a variation years later when Spinning Wheel covers were introduced for your Pimp-Mobile.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

#15,735 ·
The first thing I thought about after finding the info, Was the Spinners of yesterday. I actually found that info in an old file folder file my father had. He was a BOP fanatic. I then googled 53 Buick and there were the the words..

I don't have a thing at the moment so floor is open!!!:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.