Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#16,407 ·
That's a different story Buzz, some of the crossovers are hilarious. How about the Ford Courier of the 70's and 80's was a Mazda, then the Mazda Pickup in the 2000's was a Ford Ranger! LOL The Geo Prism of the 2000's was a Suzuki Swift, sitting next to it in the Chevy showroom was the Geo Tracker that was an Isuzu Amigo and the Geo Prizm was a Toyota Corolla! LOLOLOL

None of these that I know of had the same emblem on the horn button.

Brian

#16,421 ·
Ok, we lost it here a bit. LOL I was after a 1979 Plymouth Horizon and a Dodge Omni.b My son Nick is on one in this photo. DAMN I love that photo! It's up on my mantel as I post this. I should be a photographer. :thumbup:

Brian

Attachments

#16,428 ·
In 1960, there was a "Golde" (yes, with an "e") edition of the Thunderbird that featured the German-built "Golde" sunroof. However, your question was a 1959 vehicle, so I suspect that the 1960 "Blunderburp" is not the correct answer

And I am suspicious of you Boothboy - I suspect that you wouldn't say "vehicle" in your question, if the answer was a "car"......... :D:D :confused:

#16,431 ·
No it's not a station wagon or panel truck roof. Yes it is a American made automobile. I've just done some additional reading and there is a question as to the first year this Sunroof was a option. I have found pictures of a 1958 prototype and have personally seen this factory option in a 1959 car. Yet most of what I've read say's 1960 as first year that it was avalible. The automobile? Ford Thunderbird.
I worked on a 1959 T Bird with a factory Sunroof for the used car dept back in the mid 60's. This was the first sunroof I had ever seen. The term "Gold Birds" and "Golde Edition" were not Ford terminology but were penned by the public.

If 1960 was the first year I wonder if the 59 I worked on was a very late car or a really "special" order 59.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

#16,433 ·
By the late 1920s, a more convenient version of the temporary roof was often being used where a solid metal panel would slide into a slot at the top of the passenger compartment, sometimes called a de Ville extension.[1] By the early 1930s, cars were being constructed in the Sedan style comprising a metal one-piece roof without the gap above the driver's cabin. To provide a similar facility to the earlier Coup de Ville configurations, sliding cloth or metal panels recognisable as the modern sunroof were regularly fitted to Bentley and Rolls Royce models,,

,they were offered long before I thought.

#16,436 ·
I have a good one.

The Zeppelin Foundation is the mysterious organization behind:

A. The "ZF" automatic transmissions in countless BMW, Chrysler, Ford, Rolls-Royce and other manufacturers' cars and trucks.

B. Part manufacturers including TRW (ball joints, tie rod ends...), SACHS (lift supports, shock absorbers...) and LEMFÖRDER (control arms, stabilizer bar links...).

C. The manual gearbox in the Aston Martin driven by James Bond in the '60s.

D. All the above

#16,438 ·
You'll have to clarify if the Zeppelin Foundation started the companies or bought the companies. TRW is a offshoot ot the Thompson Ramo Wooldridge co. Aerospace and electronics.

I would have to say the answer that you are looking for is D, all of the above.

Named after Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin, the old windbag!

#16,439 ·
You'll have to clarify if the Zeppelin Foundation started the companies or bought the companies. TRW is a offshoot ot the Thompson Ramo Wooldridge co. Aerospace and electronics.

I would have to say the answer that you are looking for is D, all of the above.

Named after Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin, the old windbag!

You got it BB.

It's your floor!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.