Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#16,638 ·
I have no idea why the plate would read earlier, it's the 1959 Cadillac Cyclone Motorama Dream car.

My dad probably saw this in person at the '59 Motorama in San Francisco. I can't believe I never heard about any of these shows from him having just gotten into the GM Motorama stuff a few years ago, long after his death. But I find it very hard to believe that he wouldn't have gone to these shows as he was a Buick Salesman and we went to lots of shows over the years together, he was into it, I have to believe he went to them.

Brian

Reactions: 496CHEVY3100
#16,646 ·
Old guy here. Didn't know anyone had a 100,000 warranty!. Chrysler was the first to have a warranty longer than 3/36. I believe they went to 7/70. Boy did that PO Ford and GM!! Chrysler did it to boost sales. When I first started working dealerships, warranties were 12/12. Hipo Fords wer 90 days. Period!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#16,647 ·
Wasn't it Mitsubishi who tried to boost sales by advertising a 100,000 mile warranty? It got a little silly with some doing a "bumper-to-bumper" warranty for a humongous time period while others were powertrain only.

I seem to remember seeing an ad from the past few weeks for KIA having a 100,000 mile warranty

#16,668 ·
Reactions: 496CHEVY3100
#16,675 ·
Hrere's another easy one.

The VW Beetle enthusiast took one look at the engine and said, "Doghouse-style, that motor must have been pulled from a 1971 or newer Beetle." What does "doghouse-style" refer to?

A. 1971 and newer Beetle engine blocks were made of magnesium, the same metal used to make fire hydrants in Germany at that time.

B. VW increased horsepower in 1971 by installing dual Bund Hütte brand carburetors. Bund Hütte was similar to Hundehütte, the German word for dog house.

C. 1971 and newer air-cooled Beetles got a higher capacity engine oil cooler built into a new fan shroud nicknamed "doghouse." The 1970 and older fan shroud design became known as a "non-doghouse" fan shroud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.