Trivia thread - Page 470 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Rolls Royce licensed in 1930 in USA, before that they were British built .
Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, and finally nope. I told you it wasn't who you thought it was.

BB

Hint # 2:

It was before Rolls Royce trundled over across the pond.

And finally, nope.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Gottlieb Daimler founded a company which came to be known as Mercedes-Benz sold license to build cars in the early 1900's.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:57 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

What was the car called? Your close.

BB
Old 04-18-2013, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
What was the car called? Your close.

BB
The car was called Mercedes, named after Daimler's daughter.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:08 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

That's part of it. What's the rest?

BB
Old 04-18-2013, 12:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
That's part of it. What's the rest?

BB
Mercedes Model 60.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:54 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Ok I've tortured you enough. They were known as the American Mercedes. The name Mercedes Benz didn't come about until 1926. The American Mercedes was assembled by the Steinway Piano people but all came to a end when the factory burnt down. The3y were manufactured from 1904 to 1907. Interestingly they were in direct competition with Mercedes Import CO. The company name in the USA was Daimler Manufacturing CO.I'm not sure what a imported Mercedes cost but a American Mercedes cost a mere $7500, in 1904!

BB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	z2.png
Views:	33
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	73292   Click image for larger version

Name:	z2a.png
Views:	32
Size:	880.6 KB
ID:	73293   Click image for larger version

Name:	z2b.png
Views:	30
Size:	683.5 KB
ID:	73294  
Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Ok I've tortured you enough. They were known as the American Mercedes. The name Mercedes Benz didn't come about until 1926. The American Mercedes was assembled by the Steinway Piano people but all came to a end when the factory burnt down. The3y were manufactured from 1904 to 1907. Interestingly they were in direct competition with Mercedes Import CO. The company name in the USA was Daimler Manufacturing CO.I'm not sure what a imported Mercedes cost but a American Mercedes cost a mere $7500, in 1904!

BB
$7500 was a lot of cabbage in 1904!

What was the first production car equipped with antilock brakes? Make and model.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:37 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Mercedes was the first auto to use ABS,but we are talking American on here so ,an 1986 Cadalliac was the first American car to use ABS,

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 04-19-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:03 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,080 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:

BB
What the....... I have never heard of this. I am thinking you stop and read the signs at the museums like my wife does. I don't care what museum we go into my wife is the one dragging behind reading all the signs word for word.

That is very interesting "American Mercedes" and only $7500! As my dad would have said "What a deal"! That is so incredible you could have bought a HUGE farm for that in 1904.

Little story: Here in this area where was a very wealthy family who had the biggest and baddest farm and home. The Patterson's had a LOT of money and their kids of course were born with a silver spoon in their mouth. One of them bought new a Pierce Arrow at some point I believe in the mid thirties. I learned about this car from an old farmer near me. He had a piece of farming equipment, don't remember what it was exactly. It was a trailer device to haul a "disc" as I remember. But anyway I was out at some point and noticed the wheels on this piece of equipment were a heck of a lot cooler looking than the others and went in for a closer look. This is what those wheels looked like.

One had an 8 on it the other a 12, I am assuming 8 and 12 Cylinder. He gave me the piece of equipment and I cut the wheels off it. The Pierce Arrow spindles had been welded to the axle and I just cut axle off at the king pin boss. I hauled those friggin wheels around swap meets for years! They were VERY heavy as you can imagine and I hauled them to every swap meet I sold in for years and never sold them. I don't remember what ever became of them, probably thru them in the dump. Of course someone is going to tell me the wheel covers are worth $25K now.

I'm sorry, this could go on forever, some interesting stories about them. Behind the house on the farm (now a regional park) there is a concrete foundation and a sign explaining what was there. It was a "garden shed" (about 1000 sq ft "shed" ) that came from Japan. This shed was from the World's fair from Treasure Island 1939 (Treasure Island is in the middle of the SF bay). So the sign went on to say how the Pattersons bought it and put it there on their farm. But it burnt down to the foundation....Dec 8th 1941. That's all it said and I am standing there "Dec 8th 1941, why does that date pop out at me" then it hit me, it isn't THE date, but the next day. After Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese someone went out and burnt that Japanese building. Wild, but yes they had big money.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 04-19-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:28 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
What the....... I have never heard of this. I am thinking you stop and read the signs at the museums like my wife does. I don't care what museum we go into my wife is the one dragging behind reading all the signs word for word.

That is very interesting "American Mercedes" and only $7500! As my dad would have said "What a deal"! That is so incredible you could have bought a HUGE farm for that in 1904.

Brian
Guilty. My wife won't go with me any more because I've just gotta read them all! It drives me nuts when someone just flys past all that wonderful history.i'm currently going through all the great material in The Old Motor site. Great site! It's up-dated daily so I'll never catch up. Wonderful old pictures! The Old Motor | Old car photos , Old Cars For sale, Classic Cars, antique cars
seventy five hundred would by you multiple houses in 1904! I wonder what that amount would be in todays dollar?

BB
Old 04-19-2013, 08:52 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Guilty. My wife won't go with me any more because I've just gotta read them all! It drives me nuts when someone just flys past all that wonderful history.i'm currently going through all the great material in The Old Motor site. Great site! It's up-dated daily so I'll never catch up. Wonderful old pictures! The Old Motor | Old car photos , Old Cars For sale, Classic Cars, antique cars
seventy five hundred would by you multiple houses in 1904! I wonder what that amount would be in todays dollar?

BB

Me too, man. If I'm at a museum that I'm interested in, I gotta read it all !!
Now you've got me looking at ANOTHER forum.....the Old Cars. I know the economy sucked for the people living it in, just like for us today, but the architecture of buildings and automobiles of the 30's was so cool and will never be equaled. I LOVE walking in my shop and seeing my '38 coupe. The lines are just so graceful..

As for todays value of that car .....with current inflation and overproduction of money, probably about 7.4M
Old 04-19-2013, 09:13 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

I just found a inflation calculator site (ain't the internet handy?) and was able to get a figure. Seventy five hundred dollars in 1904's money is valued in 2012's market at, hold onto your shorts!, $192,307.69!!
I've got to find out how many of these cars they produced!

BB

It gets better! Apparently they offered more than one model!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	z2c.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	708.6 KB
ID:	73315  
Old 04-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,080 Times in 963 Posts
That is hilariously out of whack for the SF bay area! My home cost about half that when it was built in the 40's and it's now worth $350K at least. And our grocery's for the month in 1904 would have been about three or five dollars, I just can't believe it's only $200K

Brian
Old 04-19-2013, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Mercedes was the first auto to use ABS,but we are talking American on here so ,an 1986 Cadalliac was the first American car to use ABS,
I was talking world wide production cars. This car also had another first for that automobile world. None of these cars were officially imported to the USA. The antilock braking system in these cars predated any US car by four years. Mercedes was not the first and Cadillac wasn't the first US car with a form of antilock brakes.

Tags
humor, trivia

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.