Trivia thread - Page 504 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Speaking of Vegas, what was the big mistake they made on them that immediately got them in the hot seat. The motors were failing, what caused it?

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

The metalurgy. Aluminum block sans liner, relying on a silica metalurgy to "prevent wear". It worked about as well as may be imagined.

Coupled with a tendency to warp and destroy head gaskets whenever it got hot and viola! An engine that was guaranteed to self-destruct before you even got it home, thus diverting people's attention from the fact that the bodies were rusted nearly all the way through about the time that the so-called cars reached final assembly stage in the factory.

Just another example of GM hiring the best and brightest minds to develop the most efficient way to deliberately destroy any customer goodwill and ensure that they could go bankrupt while Toyota, Mazda and Renault/Nissan would take over the entire market!
Old 07-06-2013, 05:05 PM

Last photo:

Wow, that was a downer Dave, holy crap I think I will go have a drink. ..........it's your floor.

Brian
Old 07-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
The metalurgy. Aluminum block sans liner, relying on a silica metalurgy to "prevent wear". It worked about as well as may be imagined.

Coupled with a tendency to warp and destroy head gaskets whenever it got hot and viola! An engine that was guaranteed to self-destruct before you even got it home, thus diverting people's attention from the fact that the bodies were rusted nearly all the way through about the time that the so-called cars reached final assembly stage in the factory.

Just another example of GM hiring the best and brightest minds to develop the most efficient way to deliberately destroy any customer goodwill and ensure that they could go bankrupt while Toyota, Mazda and Renault/Nissan would take over the entire market!
Dave, I would hope that if you have something to say about Gm you would come out and say it.....No need to beat around the bush.

John
Old 07-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:

Actually - at the very next board meeting, they had a wager to see who could top the Vega for making people buy some other brand. They still could not believe that ANYONE would buy a GM product after the Vega, but since it seemed that that the buying public was still dumb enough to get yet another GM, they got started on yet another way to make people buy Toyotas etc. They called it "Citation" and also spun it off into Cadillac, Olds, Buick & Pontiac Divisions, too!

A competing bet resulted in a statement from the top office to the effect that "I can top that for driving customers away! Just watch! We pledge that ALL cars will be Front-wheel drive"!

(The response from a couple of board members was "Cars? Is that what we make? I always wondered")
Old 07-06-2013, 09:35 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Wait a minute, you said back in the sixties! The Vega didn't exist until 1970! I just remembered some odd photos of the shipping of the Vega. I didn't remember anything about hanging from bumpers but the shipping was wild, that I knew.

Brian

Ah Haw!! You got the trick question! You probably thought that I didn't remember that the Vega was a child of the seventies! Well there! I'll let it go this time! But done let it happen again!
BB

Your turn Brian.
( Seventies huh? Darn!)

I guess it's not your turn Brian!

Last edited by boothboy; 07-06-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:40 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:

Yes your right Dave but if you remember the rear of those cars were protected from rust by the handy self lubricating system caused by those crappy motors. That nice crust of oil and dirt kept that metal free of rust.

BB
Old 07-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:

Right you are! I forgot about the "total loss" oil system they used!

Oh - by the way, I will not be able to pose a new Q because I won't be able to monitor replies.

I am in the middle of a total basement clean-out in prep for new furnace and air cond and etc to be installed next week.
EVERYTHING has to go to make room for install ductwork, run gas lines etc.
This house was built 20 years ago in an era of "all-electric heating", so it has electric baseboard heat - which means it has never had a furnace, so it has no ductwork etc. For a 3500 sq ft, 5-level split you can just imagine the amount of renos that will be happening to accomodate the furnace and the 3-ton heatpump, electric air filters and other gizmos and doo-dads needed to reduce my winter heat bills down from the 500-600 bux a month they have been running at. This week is clean-out and renos, and the next week after that is more renos and re-dos of basement ceilings, new cupboards and shelves down there, etc.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Actually - at the very next board meeting, they had a wager to see who could top the Vega for making people buy some other brand. They still could not believe that ANYONE would buy a GM product after the Vega, but since it seemed that that the buying public was still dumb enough to get yet another GM, they got started on yet another way to make people buy Toyotas etc. They called it "Citation" and also spun it off into Cadillac, Olds, Buick & Pontiac Divisions, too!

A competing bet resulted in a statement from the top office to the effect that "I can top that for driving customers away! Just watch! We pledge that ALL cars will be Front-wheel drive"!

(The response from a couple of board members was "Cars? Is that what we make? I always wondered")
Do you know what the difference was between the Chevrolet Citation and the Cadillac Cimarron?

The plastic interior trim as felt on it in the Cadillac.

Brian
Old 07-06-2013, 11:17 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Do you know what the difference was between the Chevrolet Citation and the Cadillac Cimarron?

The plastic interior trim as felt on it in the Cadillac.

Brian
And don't forget that all important feature " The impossible to remove oil filter" In order to remove this little gem your arm had to move in at least four different directions all at he same time. Oh what fun!

BB
Old 07-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

I thought the Cimmiron was cavalier based
Old 07-07-2013, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I thought the Cimmiron was cavalier based
You aren't getting the joke apparently.

Brian
Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 AM

Last photo:

My dad had an X11 (hangs head) I liked it.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

Ok, how about a question?

What years did Ford, GM, and Chrysler go from 6 to 12 volt, and when did they go from Generator to Alternator?

Brian
Old 07-09-2013, 09:11 AM

Last photo:

1955 for 6-12V in Chevy; the Alternator was a LATE 68 item (I think maybe convertibles and COPO trucks etc.)

Tags
humor, trivia

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« Guess the car | - »