Trivia thread - Page 67 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Glass don't Rust

Last journal entry: body
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Air and fuel mixing carb? Joel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Daimler

Yes - the Carb was the "missing link" for all previous attempts to get a gas-burning engine to work. For part two - what had inspired him - what idea did he adopt to make it work?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
Yes - the Carb was the "missing link" for all previous attempts to get a gas-burning engine to work. For part two - what had inspired him - what idea did he adopt to make it work?

His wife's perfume atomizer, I believe was the basis if my history lesson 'stuck'
Old 04-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Atomizer

Absolutely correct! Daimler discovered/invented the carburetor by observing how the tiny blast of air drew tiny droplets of liquid perfume up from the bottle when she squeezed the bulb. That inspired him to come up with a carb with a venturi and fuel jet that drew fuel up from a bowl and atomized it, thus forming the basis of all carbs ever since, and making the first gasoline-fuel internal combustion engine possible!

Your turn! (And for those who like to absorb this stuff, he needed to raise money for his car factory, and so wealthy industrialist Karl Benz came along and agreed to fund the factory, - but with one condition - all the cars would have to be named after his daughter, Mercedes Benz!)
Old 04-21-2009, 09:05 AM

I didn't Google it!! Amazing what a repository of useless junk lies in a human's brain.

Now, I guess it's my turn again - dang!

OK, this is for the "oldsters" that may have seen US Army service in the Korean War through at least the early to mid part of the Viet Nam War and it is a several part, tho fairly easy for those that were in the Motor Pool:

What are the military designation numbers for:
(not the WW2 versions)

The jeep (there are two main versions)
The 3/4 ton(The Dodge version)
The deuce and a half (again, there are two main versions)
The 5 ton wrecker (my favorite)

And yep, I was one of those nasty motor sergeants

Dave W
Old 04-23-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I didn't Google it!! Amazing what a repository of useless junk lies in a human's brain.

Now, I guess it's my turn again - dang!

OK, this is for the "oldsters" that may have seen US Army service in the Korean War through at least the early to mid part of the Viet Nam War and it is a several part, tho fairly easy for those that were in the Motor Pool:

What are the military designation numbers for:
(not the WW2 versions)

The jeep (there are two main versions)
The 3/4 ton(The Dodge version)
The deuce and a half (again, there are two main versions)
The 5 ton wrecker (my favorite)

And yep, I was one of those nasty motor sergeants

Dave W
OK - I'll make it a bit easier:
The Dodge = M37
The wrecker = M62
Old 04-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
OK - I'll make it a bit easier:
The Dodge = M37
The wrecker = M62

Can you give us all of them but the last letter. I don't have a friggin clue!

Brian
Old 04-23-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Can you give us all of them but the last letter. I don't have a friggin clue!

Brian
You young guys that never had to face a 2 year conscription.....

If no one figures it out this evening I'll give you folks a PASS with the answers

Dave W
Old 04-23-2009, 06:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
You young guys that never had to face a 2 year conscription.....

If no one figures it out this evening I'll give you folks a PASS with the answers

Dave W
Was MB38 one of them? Maybe jeep.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp
Was MB38 one of them? Maybe jeep.

Chris - you are close and I'll give you this one. The Jeep that looked much like the WW2 square cornered version was the M38. The later rounded corner version was the M38A1 and was often used for mounting the 105 and 106MM recoilless rifle or a .50 cal - and assembling them for Viet Nam was one of my jobs when I worked at the Post Ordnance shop after my training and before assignment to my "permanent" army job.

Dave W
Old 04-24-2009, 04:26 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Chris - you are close and I'll give you this one. The Jeep that looked much like the WW2 square cornered version was the M38. The later rounded corner version was the M38A1 and was often used for mounting the 105 and 106MM recoilless rifle or a .50 cal - and assembling them for Viet Nam was one of my jobs when I worked at the Post Ordnance shop after my training and before assignment to my "permanent" army job.

Dave W
So do I understand this correctly? We actually had a Rat Patrol jeep in Viet Nam? How Cool. I missed Viet Nam by about two years. I'm of the age group that by the time I was old enough to register for the draft, registration had been done away with. What's also weird is that when registration was reinstated I was 6 months to old. I guess I was lucky.

I did however acquire some military experience when I worked for a defense contractor out of Albany, Ga. at the marine base that is located there. I worked on research and design for the portable mobile shelter units and installed radio systems in the then new Hummers. That was in 1985, 1986 and 1987 and all of the old timers that I worked with hated to see the Jeep go. Most of those guys were retired military with Korea and Nam under their belts and I learned a lot from them. I had the privilege of working under one of the coolest bosses that I have ever had. He was a retired Master Gunnery Sargent and until I met him I just thought I knew how to fight, drive fast cars, drink and chase women.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:44 AM

Last journal entry: An update
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
Absolutely correct! Daimler discovered/invented the carburetor by observing how the tiny blast of air drew tiny droplets of liquid perfume up from the bottle when she squeezed the bulb. That inspired him to come up with a carb with a venturi and fuel jet that drew fuel up from a bowl and atomized it, thus forming the basis of all carbs ever since, and making the first gasoline-fuel internal combustion engine possible!

Your turn! (And for those who like to absorb this stuff, he needed to raise money for his car factory, and so wealthy industrialist Karl Benz came along and agreed to fund the factory, - but with one condition - all the cars would have to be named after his daughter, Mercedes Benz!)
If you don't mind,I'll correct you.
Mercedes was in fact the daughter of Msr Jellinek,the Biggest agent of Daimler cars at that time .

Carl Benz was neither wealthy nor an industrialist but a clever man who designed a very good car from the beginning. His wife Bertha was the very first woman to ever drive a car any distance when she and the two benz sons drove the Benz 180 Kms to visit Karl in a surprise visit. On the journey she ran out of fuel and had to buy fuel from a Druggist. (apothecary in the Germany of those days) This was in 1888!

Carl Benz in his Benz Patent Motorwagon.

Daimler was founded by Gottleib Daimler in 1890.
Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft (Daimler Motor Company, DMG) was a German engine and later automobile manufacturer, in operation from 1890 until 1926. Founded by Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach, it was based first in Cannstatt (today Bad Cannstatt, a city district of Stuttgart). Daimler died in 1900, and the company moved in 1903 to Stuttgart-Untertürkheim after the original factory was destroyed by fire, and again to Berlin in 1922. Other factories were located in Marienfelde (near Berlin) and Sindelfingen (next to Stuttgart).
The company started as a petrol engine producer, but after the success of a small number of race cars built on contract by Wilhelm Maybach for Emil Jellinek, it began to produce the Mercedes model of 1902, after which automobile production expanded to become DMG main product and it built several models.
Because of the post World War One German economic crisis, DMG merged in 1926 with Benz & Cie., becoming Daimler-Benz and adopting Mercedes-Benz as its automobile trademark. A further merger occurred in 1998 with Chrysler to become DaimlerChrysler. The name was finally changed to just Daimler AG in 2007 when Chrysler was sold.
That god,it was a marriage made in hell.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp
So do I understand this correctly? We actually had a Rat Patrol jeep in Viet Nam? How Cool. I missed Viet Nam by about two years. I'm of the age group that by the time I was old enough to register for the draft, registration had been done away with. What's also weird is that when registration was reinstated I was 6 months to old. I guess I was lucky.
There were actually 3 kinds of jeeps in 'Nam. The two that I mentioned then the 4 wheel independent suspension mainly a Ford built version, the M151 that was a disaster - it had the same propensity to show the greasy side up as the early Corvairs. These were just being introduced when I finished up at Ft Dix. There are few that made it to civilian life as they were supposed to be destroyed as too dangerous

My Viet Nam service time was lucky. I went from just over a year at Ft Dix in basic training then to "work" at Post Ordinance, then to another ~year to a division in Ft Devens, MA that was scheduled to go to SE Asia and war. I finished up, left, then they went - and being a combat engineer battalion, quite a few didn't live through their stay.

Dave W
Old 04-24-2009, 10:02 AM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

Kinda O/T
A dx heist of a new M151-a1 with a blown motor. Shipped with no oil. +
Another dx heist of a 327 chev and trans out of a damaged APC. =Great little airstrip cruiser. It had stabilizers on it and handled well. Did have a tendency to spin out with the military tires but the swamp tires stuck good once the cleats were worn off. Just spin them about 200 feet. They only lasted 40-50 miles and were hard to come by. Confiscated by the IG office.
A mule+ a engine from a 64 corvair borrowed from a local= wheel stander that would have made Maverick proud. Probably the worlds first clear over wheelie. One in hospital with severe injuries. Mule dropped in swamp by helicopter at Battalions request. Orders: "No more hotrods" It was time to go back to the round eyes anyway.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:57 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
Well I was in the marine corps, we didn't get to ride that much, while I was attached to artillery, they used a 5 ton 6X6 to tow a 155mm howitzer, & a 2 1/2 ton 6X6 to pull a 105mm howitzer, & while stationed at guantomano bay cuba, we got a 2 & a 1/2T, truck stuck in the sand, called for the wrecker he got stuck also, had to use a tank retriever to get them out, we also had another vehicle called a mighty might, 4X4 4cyl air coled aluminum engine made by amc, the MP's had jeeps, & were unable to catch the MMs, but we were the only outfit there with that vehicle, so in reality we were easy to catch.
When we did get to ride we were put in something called a cattle car, looked like a city bus gutted, pulled by a truck tractor, you know tractor trailler.
I only remember a couple of #s & I'm not sure what goes where, the MMs were M422, then a M543, & M35 something,
it's been to long, I got out in 10-1966 after 4 1/2 years,
Rich

Tags
humor, trivia

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.