Trivia thread - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 01:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

re: "European" cars with Buick 215-derived engines

Okay, I apologize for being very late to the party on this one... but if you guys are really into trivia perhaps you'd like a slightly more complete answer on the question "Name TWO production European cars that used a sixties Buick V8 in them. One of them had that motor up until just three or four years ago. One of their models may still have it for all I know."

Rover originally bought the design rights to the Buick aluminum V8 so that they could use it in their "P5" sedans. (They'd call them "saloons".) The P5 was later replaced by the "P6" model, which was later sold in the U.S. and Canadian market as the "3500S". (You might recognize the P6 as THE British police car... it appears in a lot of old movies including Monty Python's "Holy Grail".) Still later, Rover installed the same basic engine in their "SD1" model which was also exported to the U.S.A. and Canada.

Rover 3500S

Rover SD1

FWIW, it's not really accurate to call the Rover engine a "sixties Buick" because some details were redesigned or manufactured differently. Rover's version of the engine was produced in England, and was sand-cast whereas the original Buick design was made on semi-permanent tooling like a transmission case.

Of course Rover DID install their aluminum V8 in several generations of Range Rovers, ultimately bored and stroked up from 3.5L (215cid) to 4.6L. (After BMW bought Rover, Range Rovers were built with BMW engines. Now they're built with Ford engines.)

As mentioned by someone else already Rover sold their Buick-derived aluminum V8 to Morgan for use in the "Plus 8" model which was produced from 1968 through 2004.

Rover sold the engine to another independent manufacturer, TVR. TVR used Rover engines with displacements from 3.5L to 4.4L from 1983 through 1991. After that, TVR built their own engines. (Redesigned, but based on the Rover...)

A third tiny specialty manufacturer to use the Rover engine is "Westfield", who use (yes, still to this day!) it in their "SEight" model sports car. These cars looks like a Lotus "7". They've been built with displacements from 3.5L to 5.2L. Although Westfield sells "kit cars", most SEights are actually completely built to order for customers in Westfield's own shop.

Rover was part of British Leyland, and various British Leyland divisions used the Buick-derived Rover engines.

MG used the Rover V8 in two different models. The first was the "MGB GT V8" which was produced from 1973-76. MG planned to export this car - 11 left-hand-drive prototypes were built, it was engineered for U.S. crash and emissions requirements, and it was even shown at the New York Motor Show before British Leyland corporate management pulled the plug on all export sales due to internal politics. Specifically, the MGB GT V8 would have embarrased the heck out of Triumph because it seriously outperformed the TR6 and the Triumph 3L V8 "Stag". The second MG production model to use the Rover V8 was called the "RV8". It was produced from 1993-95. This car was also only produced in right-hand-drive configuration, but a large proportion of RV8's were exported to Japan.

MGB GT V8

MGB RV8

For serious trivia buff's, it might be interesting to note that in the early eighties some MG "Metro" subcompact hatchbacks were fitted with a special 90-degree all-aluminum V6 engine that was based on the familiar Buick/Rover V8. (It didn't use any parts from the Buick V6.) For about a month, these little cars completely dominated their rally racing class... until the rules were rewritten to prohibit them. They weren't really a "production car", but they were at least built by the "factory".

British Leyland's Triumph division used the Rover V8 in the TR8, which was mostly an export model (for North America).

After Rover stopped producing their version of the Buick-derived aluminum V8, TVR started and continued production of their own versions of it for awhile. The engine is still in production on an aftermarket basis - it can be bought as a "crate engine".

Incidentally, a trivia buff might argue that England isn't really part of Europe in the strictly literal sense. If you buy that argument, there's no correct answer to the original question. So, we might as well talk about Australian vehicles. The Australian division of British Leyland produced their very own, unique version of the Buick-derived Rover V8 for the P76 car. (Produced between 1973 and 1976.) Interestingly, the P76 had a stroker crank and displaced 4.4L. Australians are particularly nuts about the Buick/Rover aluminum V8. You'll surely recall that Jack Brabham contracted with an Australian firm called Repco to build custom cylinder heads that he mounted on GM blocks. He used these Repco/Buick engines to win the 1966 Formula One championship. Repco re-engineered the engine (i.e. produced their own blocks) and Brabham used that Buick-derivative to win the 1967 Formula One championship. To this day, Repco still builds engines derived from the Buick aluminum V8!

The Buick aluminum V8 has a lot more racing heritage than most American enthusiasts realize. Did YOU know that Mickey Thompson's team raced a Buick 215 powered car in the 1962 Indy 500 - with rookie driver Dan Gurney at the wheel? It was the production engine that broke Offenhauser's monopoly. An Olds version of the 215 was raced by Jim Hall in his Chaparral II (circa 1965). Some of that history is here: http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Ro...ar-Article.htm

Jim Hall's Olds 215 (from his Chaparral II, circa 1965)

If you're curious about ANY aspect of these little aluminum V8 engines or the cars they've been installed in, we have literally HUNDREDS of articles about them in one convenient place: http://www.britishv8.org/

In fact, if you're interested in hot-rodded British sports cars, you really need to check out BritishV8!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
What's the name of the book?

Who's the author? (HR.com name is the same as in the book.)

What page is his story on in the book?

What's the name of his story?
D
All American Hot Rod
Henry Highrise
Chapter 5, I forget the page but I can get it.
True Confessions
Old 01-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Cool! I was beginning to think I screwed up. page 169. How did you find the answer?

The floor is all yours.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

I rememberer the old thread when we discussed it a while ago.

Ok... this one should be easy.

Who am I?

I was the US Attorney who investigated Preston Tucker for Fraud before being jailed for fraud myself. Who am I?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:20 PM

Last photo:

Otto Kerner, Jr.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

Brian,

Here's a little follow up to your torque tube question:
I asked a GM Mechanic friend of mine what was the last GM car with an old fashioned torque tube rear axle. Without hesitation, he replied "1987 Chevette."

I looked it up in an old Motor's manual I had, Here is what I found.

It uses an intermediate drive shaft between the torque tube and the transmission, so it's not quite the same as a '60 Buick. But it's very similar to a traditional torque tube.

Not disputing your question/answer, just thought this was interesting.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Who are you my wife?

No, just kidding, that IS very interesting. I don't know the late Vettes well and thought they had a transaxle back there. That one makes me go hmmmmmmm.

On that book, I will be putting in an order for one, sounds like a great book and I can see Henrys contribution, very cool.

Brian
Old 01-05-2009, 03:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishV8
In fact, if you're interested in hot-rodded British sports cars, you really need to check out BritishV8!!!
I found some of the photos (or all of them) that I posted on that site. VERY cool site indeed!

I am a big Buick fan and have always loved those little motors. American just wasn't ready for an Aluminum block, too bad.

Brian
Old 01-05-2009, 04:10 PM

Last photo:

Otto Kerner is right... Joe, the floor is yours.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Who are you my wife?

Quote:
.... I don't know the late Vettes well and thought they had a transaxle back there. That one makes me go hmmmmmmm.
Just to clarify, I was talking about CHEVettes not CORvettes.

Next Question:

What is the year, make, and model of the car pictured below?

Old 01-05-2009, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

LOLOL, I remember that rear in a Chevette, you should have told me that is Chevette.

On your car, without googling it, I say a 42 Cad.

Brian
Old 01-05-2009, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
....without googling it, I say a 42 Cad.

Brian

Close, but no cigar.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

1941 Cad

Brian
Old 01-05-2009, 06:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
1941 Cad
You are 2/3rds correct.

What series?
Old 01-05-2009, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

I have always loved "working cars" like cop, ambulance, that sort of thing. This page has an 41 Cad example of why I love the hearses, they were works of art!
http://www.hearse.com/vehicles/motor.../pages/pa.html

Brian

Tags
humor, trivia

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.