Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#552 ·
Joe G said:
Tommy Ivo's "Showboat"
Joe, you are absolutely right. I have been a big Ivo fan literally my whole life. My Dad sold Buicks from 1957-77 and I cut my first teeth in the back seat of a demonstrator. If you pickup the book on history of Pete and Jake you will find a photo of Ivo in the pits of the Fremont Dragstrip with two handsome fellows talking to him, that's me and my brother. :D

I was a member of a Yahoo Nailhead Buick group. One day I was talking about Ivo when I got an email from him! It had some photos of the display of his cars at the Garlits Museum of Dragracing. He is a super guy, my brother has sold him parts for a number of years. So, check this out, he must have put me in his email address book. About a month later I got an email from him with a warning that his computer may have had a virus and he was warning everyone in his address book. The list of email addresses would blow you mind! I had the personal email address to the who's who in dragracing! We are talking Cha Cha, Jungle Pam, Kieth Black, Prudhome, Tony Nancy, we are talking EVERYONE who was anyone in dragracing history! And among all these names is "Brian Martin". :D It was truly wild!

Ivo ran a single Nailhead dragster, a twin nailhead (first car into the 8's on gas) and the four engine. The four engine (and I believe the others as well) had 364 CI nailheads "poked and stroked" to 454 cid.

The Showboat was known as the "moving cloud". It's unique sound comes from the fact that no two of the 32 cylinders are firing at the same time!

I missed it running at Fremont Drag strip when I was a kid do to a rain out, DARN IT.

Joe, you have the floor!

Brian

#553 ·
Joe G said:
Check out this you tube video of the Showboat. :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiR8y7BmDug
Oh my God, that video is AWESOME! The first shot of it running down the quarter mile, it's from one of those old Beach Party movies. I forget the name of it but that is what that is from. Is Tommy personable or what! What a nice guy!

Brian

#554 ·
MARTINSR said:
....Joe, you have the floor!
Thanks Brian. That was a great question. I didn't have to Google that one, but I did "Geezer" it. You see, my shop has kind of an old time barber shop atmosphere about it. Every day, we get several retired gentlemen who stop in to shoot the s**t. I learn something everyday from them. Some come every day, and some only stop by once a week or so. I ran this question by one of them and he knew immediately what you were talking about. :thumbup:

Sorry it took so long for me to get back and ask a question. I had a home maintenance emergency to attend to.

Next question:

What was the first GM production four cylinder engine with electronic multi-port fuel injection?

#557 ·
I "Geezered" it, but I was the geezer! :pain:

I rode up to the Chevy dealer on my Scwhinn Stingray to oogle one in the show room! That same dealership show room is now vacant, a victim of the poor economy. :(

Next question;

What famous American custom car from the sixties has a chassis from a seldom seen (in the US) french car?

I have a bonus question but I am afraid it will give away the primary question. :sweat:

Brian

#558 ·
Trucknut said:
If nobody has a question....I have one.

What American auto maker offered self balancing wheels in the mid-sixties? This was done by using ball bearings floating in a tube around the inside of the wheels.
Hey Trucknut, by the way, who had that self balancing wheel?

Brian

#559 ·
MARTINSR said:
What famous American custom car from the sixties has a chassis from a seldom seen (in the US) french car?

Brian
After 4 minutes of google...

Shortly after the "Strip Star" was introduced, Winfield debuted another landmark custom called the "Autorama Special", which we now know as the "Reactor." Based on a front wheel drive Citroen chassis, this wild beauty was powered by a chromed, Corvair engine and had fully independent air/oil suspension.

#560 ·
Yep, you got it. At about 16 years old in the early seventies I bought a Petersons how to do body work book that had an article on Gene Winfield building the Reactor. This was the first time I had ever had seen (or even understood it could be done) a panel made from scatch. It was one of those answers to a question I didn't know I could ask, could you make a panel from scratch, is that possible? I then knew and I was even more hooked on the hole subject of hotrodding and customizing.

I didn't see the car in person until about 1999 and I was not disappointed, it is awesome and still one of my favorite cars of all time.

Gene is at the local show every year and I finally got his autograph and have it on my garage wall.

It's your turn Nightrider!

Brian

#563 ·
Hey Brian,

I saw a display at a Buick dealership in 1963 in Pontiac, Michigan. The concept was good, but it apparently didn't work out.

Buy the way, I grew up in Pontiac and my father and mother worked under John DeLorean. I remember a dinner table conversation, at my home, about how Delorean was planning to have the guys in engineering put a 389 in a Tempest and see what happens. Well......we all know what happened.

My mother bought her first GTO in 1965. It was a 389, Tri-power, four speed. The cost, with her employee discounts, was $1750.00. Mom is almost ninety today and thinks it's odd that anyone would pay what her old "goat" would be worth now.

And yes, my weekends were spent street racing on Woodward Avenue. If anyone on this site hasn't heard of Woodward Avenue, I suggest you google it.

Chris

#564 ·
Nightrider said:
Ummmm.....
Certainly known, that Mylene Farmer drove two US fullsize cars..what's a cars it was?

As I realize,that it can stop the thread...hint is video called MF Confidential....
A 94ish Chrysler Lebaron and a 92ish Cad Deville.

Brian

#566 ·
There are some super rare 1933 Ford Fenders that are different than the rest, what is that difference? I worked at a restoration shop in the seventies that had a set!

Brian

#568 ·
Nope. I had to search a LOT to find a photo of them, and that's knowing the nickname of them but I finally did find ONE photo!

This shop I worked at, oh my God did I learn a not about 33-34 Fords (Model 40's) and there are a LOT of differences between the two, much more than the grille and hood that is for sure!

The owner had a 33 Roadster what was his first car that he bought in 1958 or so! We had all kinds of cool 1933 stuff around.

When I think of the things we had and what they were worth at the time it blows my mind. He even had a complete set of Kinmont disc brakes!

Brian

#569 ·
MARTINSR said:
How about that bonus question? :D

Brian
The one I was thinking of was it's guest appearance on "Bewitched". But in my search for a photo I was reminded it appeared in other shows as well.

I remember the episode! Funny stuff.
http://www.harpiesbizarre.com/supercar.htm

The Reactor appeared in an episode of Star Trek!

And as the Catwomans car on Batman!

If you want to see how the car was made search out a Petersen's "Basic bodywork and painting" No. 2. It is also in No.1 But I am not sure of the exact name, that was the original one I had as a kid. But this No.2 I picked up at a swap meet a few years ago. When I opened it standing out there in the sun and looked at those photos of Gene bending the aluminum over a pipe it took me back 35 years or so in a second. :D

Brian

#572 ·
Nope, these fenders LOOKED different. The front ones would have bolted on any body style. And yes, both front and rear LOOKED different than the 33-34 Fenders you are accustomed to. I was surprised that I could only find ONE photo of these fenders. I find it mentioned in text, but only one photo.

Brian

#573 ·
Maybe because it's the weekend but it looks like you guys are stumped. I know it's obscure, but in a search I found plenty of people talking about it so there is a common knowledge among a number of rodders and restorers about it.

I'll give it until tomorrow morning on Monday before I get any hints, because the hints will give it away pretty fast.

It is such a strange thing that they would have had these fenders that were VERY different from the ones you know I find it a kick in the butt kinda trivia. It would be like finding out that some rare 1940 Fords built and sent out into the population among other 40 Fords didn't have the split rear window, it is that obvious.

Brian

#574 · (Edited)
Trucknut said:
Hey Brian,

I saw a display at a Buick dealership in 1963 in Pontiac, Michigan. The concept was good, but it apparently didn't work out.

Buy the way, I grew up in Pontiac and my father and mother worked under John DeLorean. I remember a dinner table conversation, at my home, about how Delorean was planning to have the guys in engineering put a 389 in a Tempest and see what happens. Well......we all know what happened.

My mother bought her first GTO in 1965. It was a 389, Tri-power, four speed. The cost, with her employee discounts, was $1750.00. Mom is almost ninety today and thinks it's odd that anyone would pay what her old "goat" would be worth now.

And yes, my weekends were spent street racing on Woodward Avenue. If anyone on this site hasn't heard of Woodward Avenue, I suggest you google it.

Chris
Chris, my dad was a Buick salesmen my entire childhood I remember many similar dinner table conversations. One in particular was in 1977 (or was it 76 or 78, I forget) about how mad the public is going to be when they find out that Buick was putting Chevy motors in their cars! And boy were they! This was all over the news a few months later.

I miss those days, I look at home movies with my dad driving a new demonstrator, God we had a good time! He was working his butt off, a LOT of hours but we still found time to have some very good times.

Brian

#576 ·
I wouldn't forget! Heck I have been watching the "views" grow on this thread without a quess being posted. :mad:

Ok, I'll give a hint. These were early 1933 fenders and I think were mostly found on the Victoria. Go googling!

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.