Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#3,602 ·
MARTINSR said:
Booth, Portland huh? Have you ever been to the Evergreen Museum? It is pretty darn close to Portland! http://www.evergreenmuseum.org/the-museum/ I thought it was a very good museum, we ate lunch under the wing of a C47 that was used in D-Day. They have the Spruce Goose and a SR-71, they have some Japanese stuff too. One that really got me, one of those "moments" I will never forget. I was looking at a chunk of a fuselage from a Zero I believe as I remember what was pulled up off the bottom of the ocean somewhere. Anyway I was looking at the pieces on the inside (it is torn in half so you can see inside very easy) and all these small pieces of aluminum that you or I could make in our garage in minutes. Just a bunch of small pieces of aluminum riveted together. And I had this amazing feeling come over me, some "Rosy the Riveter" (I am assuming they had woman doing that like here) placed those rivets! I had an odd human connection with the person who placed those rivets. They weren't the "enemy" it was a human, just doing as they were told. Anyway, I really liked the place and HIGHLY recommend you make it being you will be so close.

Brian
I actually went there last year. Quite impressive. I missed Hughes Hercules while it was in Long Beach (I only lived in the San Fernando Valley) and wanted to see it. A number of years previous I stumbled across the H-4 while it was in storage across the street form the now museum. Talk about doing a double take! I knew it was up there but I wasn't looking for it.
Another good one is the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field in Seattle. If you haven't been there it's a must. I preferred it over the Evergreen ( but they didn't have the Goose!) I'm fortunate that my business takes me all over the USA and I can do a lot of Museums. Airplanes, Cars and yes Trains also.

#3,603 ·
The Air Museum at Tillamook, Ore is also worth doing - lodged in a WW ll Navy patrol blimp hangar. Quite a lot of good stuff to see. If you take the tour of the Boeing plant In Everett, do not bother with the "future of flight" - according to Boeing's displays the future of flight involves no further developments whatsoever and the "Dreamliner" will still be state of the art forever (If that's what they actually think - sell your Boeing shares!)

#3,606 ·
That's ok give him some time, remember we have that 24 hours. I know it's a long time when you like myself are chomping at the bit. :D But he got it and should be able to have a little time to post his question.

I LOVE this thread!

Brian

#3,608 ·
Man what a lucky guess on that contraption, who knew.

The closest thing to aviation history in my next of the woods is a WW2 training facility close by. Apparently the powers that be thought that our geography closely resembled that of the WW2 European battle areas and they set up shop, all that is left is one of the hangers:

http://www.quill-lakes.com/dafoe/airbase_history.html

Now onto an question.

What notable hotrodder worked his way through the early days in SCCA racing as a driver, taking some class victories also what specific engine made it possible for him to kick butt on the track?

#3,615 ·
boothboy said:
Actually Max built a half dozen or so "Old Yellar's" with a lot of different engines. He also used Chevy.s and Old's. You'll like this pic!
Yes but the best ones were the Buick powered Ol Yellers. :D And I have to say, his real favorites were the Buicks, he loved the Buick motor and made a lot of intakes and such for them. I had the good fortune of spending some time with Max as my brother being a Buick nailhead nut had befriended Max. Max gave him all kinds of things over the years. I ended up with these injector stacks.

When my brother put his Buick in the Grand National Roadster show Max came to see it and walking around with this guy was a trip, he knew EVERYONE in the hot rod and custom world I'll tell you that, and movie stars too. He was a character if there ever was one, he wore is "dress" coveralls that day. :D

But alas, Max isn't the right answer anyway.

Brian

#3,618 ·
boothboy said:
Actually Max built a half dozen or so "Old Yellar's" with a lot of different engines. He also used Chevy.s and Old's. You'll like this pic!
He was a belly gunner in a B-24! (but that's a B-25 in the photo with Old Yeller).

Brian

#3,622 ·
boothboy said:

That pic is toooo cool! I am going to save it in my pics, it would make awesome wallpaper on the PC.

Carroll Shelby?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.