Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#10,422 ·
It's a 71 or 72 Mustang Mach I. It's darn hard to tell a 71 from a 72 but really difficult with that view since there are so few differences between 71 and 73.
I say it's a 71 or two because I believe you could see the bigger front bumper on a 73 even from this angle and the 73's had a different stripe.

The rarest thing I see on this picture is the ram air hood that was available on any Mustang equipped with a 351 2-barrel or bigger engine. I don't know how many ram air equipped Mustangs were sold from 71 to 73 but my brother owns a couple of 71's so equipped.

I got all excited when I saw the little picture thinking it was a Boss 351 which I bet is much rarer. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the one I looked at years ago at the Ford Dealer in Griswold, Iowa. It was that same color by the way. :spank::boxing::pain:

#10,423 ·
P.S. My brother swears my mistake was not taking it for a test drive. He claims if I would have driven it I would have bought it but it was the middle of harvest and I had driven to Griswold for parts for the combine and I thought that had to get back to combining corn. I had intended to drive back to Griswold after harvest but you know how that goes.

#10,436 ·
The 66 and 67 Fairlanes were 5th gen Fairlanes. Whereas the 62-65 were fourth gen cars. Yes the engine compartment was larger but it was a whole new model change. The Thunderbolt was quite different from the factory 1964 Fairlane but it was a purpose built race car and not really for the general public.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#10,459 ·
Yes! Mustang went from having optional engines up to a 429 big block in 1973 to the largest available engine in 1974 being a 2.8 V6. In 1975 Ford offered a 302 in the Mustang II which meant they had to enlarge the engine compartment!

I first ran across this in the 70's when I was thinking about buying a couple of wrecked Mustangs to make one out of, a 1975 that was front ended and a 1974 that was rear ended. I talked to a body man friend that told me that I would nothing much would fit on the front of the 75 from the 74. He told me the fenders wouldn't even fit due to engine bay change to allow for a V8.

I was surprised at this but I was glad I had talked to him before buying them.

Your floor. :D

#10,470 ·
. I always thought the Mustang II was the best looking Mustang by far... but, then, I like small cars...

. Pintos and Mustang II's looked OK on the outside, but the interiors went to hell in a hurry... door handles and window handles broke off in normal usage... upholstery tore up fast... compared to GM vehicles...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.