Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#10,684 ·
Here's another possibility.
The original yet unnamed Camaros first project name was the XP-836 which was so named in 1962. As the car reached the marketing stage Chevy had to come up with a name for the car. Yes Panther was considered as was Nova, Wildcat, Cheetah, and Chaparral. I've enclosed couple of pictures of prototype badged as a Chaparral. Also here's a picture of a two seater convertible. As the car progressed the SCCA proposed a new racing class to start in 1967. The Trans Am Group 2 series. Chevy looked at their new model debuting in 1967 and said "Why Not?" One of the criteria was no more than 305 cid so Chevy started developing a new engine as well as developing a more "Race" version of their new up-coming yet to be named auto. The working name for the engine and car modifications (later to be named Z/28 after the "performance option, RPO Z28) was " 302 Special Performance"
My sorce of material comes from Pontiac designer (Trans Am) Bob Porter

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

#10,704 ·
Do you mean Chevrolet General Manager Pete Estes's 1968 Camaro Z28 Convertible? The only factory first generation Z28 ever built? The rarest Z28 in the world? Yep that's the one I was looking for.
Options included a folding rear seat, auxiliary console-mounted instruments, auxiliary lighting, power windows, remote outside mirror, custom seat belts, performance suspension package, four-wheel disc brakes, blue light stereo system, positraction, ‘69 prototype fiberglass hood, cross-ram air and powder coated factory headers.
So how did this car come to be built at all? According to Jim Mattison, who worked in the special projects division at the time, they needed approval to build the Z/28 for the general public instead of trying to build just enough to homologate for SCCA racing. They figured that if Pete Estes, the Chevrolet General manager, drove a Z/28 he would like it enough to approve the plan. The problem was that Estes was a convertible freak, and he wouldn't drive anything else. They could give him a regular Z/28 coupe but it would probably just sit in the company garage. They decided the only solution was to build a convertible Z/28 and give that to Estes. The result - Estes drove the car, loved it, and we got the Z/28.

Production #? Zero or maybe one. Chevy never built a production Z28 Convertible but there is a factory built Z28 Convertible that was licensed and road driven.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

#10,716 · (Edited)
The Studebaker did have a good looking sterring wheel, I am looking for some to replace the Monte carlo sterring wheel on my truck I still leaning toward the 59 impala second photo or 61 impala

this is what is on my truck now

Attachments

#10,722 ·
this beats it at 1500hp but it is still not the one i am looking for

• Engine: 5L V8
  • Power: 1500 hp
  • Acceleration: 0-100 km/h: 2.5s
  • Top Speed:430 km/h, 267 mph
  • Price: $2.5 million
the Koenigsegg Agera One:1. The Swedish car manufacturer has produced this mid-engine sports racer as a successor to the CCX/CCXR and ‘agera’ literally means ‘to act’ or to ‘take action’ and they’ve certainly done that. They’ve reduced the weight, ramped up the power and claim it can get to 400km/h (249 mph) in just 20 seconds. Only six will ever be built and four have gone to wealthy Chinese owners.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.