Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#11,085 ·
Wonder what they really thought

Lost of us boys bought the little cars it started as a joke then everybody got to buying them ,I guess the Simca that I bought was the worst of the bunch rear engine water cooled if I remember correct it was 13HP, Probably the BEST was a Hillman Minx, ,we had some I haven't haven heard the names in years
some others were Morris minor metropolitan mg trimputh Austin Alpha Romeo Austin mini mostof the previous had Austin engines probably best part .and even a Honda ,johnny bought the Honda NEW all the oyhers were a few years old ,,the Honda had a 600 or 650 engine it looked like a motorcycle engine

Even a Saab 2 stroke ,no joke

#11,096 ·
1934: FRAM opens for business in the USA during a time when filters were the exception rather than the rule. Today, every car on the road has an oil filter to help protect its engine.

1934: FRAM produced the first oil filter with an easily replaceable cartridge.

1951: FRAM introduces pleated paper air filters. The first vehicle manufacturer to adapt their air-intake system to incorporate this new invention was Studebaker, which FRAM supplied on an original equipment

Didn't know 29 ford had a v8

#11,104 ·
The earliest incarnation of the modern oil filter came about in 1923, when Ernest Sweetland introduced his invention known as the Purolator, a combination of the words Pure Oil Later. Incorporated into the lubricating system after the oil pump and before the oil flows into the engine bearings, the original Purolator featured an upright series of seven twill weave cloth-covered, perforated plates encased in a heavy-duty cast container. It also had a sight feed glass on one side, enabling the owner to see the oil flow and change the filter when flow slowed to a trickle.

James A. Abeles saw enough potential in the Purolator to convert a New York City garage into a company called Motor Improvements Inc., developed primarily to manufacture Purolator filters. The Maxwell Chalmers Company also saw promise in this new product, installing a Purolator on a Maxwell automobile which was test-driven on a round-trip from Detroit to the West Coast in 1924. The longer oil drain intervals, cleaner oil and reduced engine wear offered by the Purolator ensured endorsement by the automotive industry, and they soon became standard on many popular automobiles of the day, including Studebaker, Pierce Arrow, Hupmobile, Peerless, Cadillac, Oakland, Gardner, Moon, Jordan, Buick and Dodge

This article list several car seem to offer it around same year
But ,CHRYSLER web site says a 1936 Dodge was the First auto to offer the replaceable oil filter, and it Was a Puralator.??:confused:.

#11,106 ·
Dodge celebrated its 25th anniversary with new styling that had the head lamps integral with the front fenders and a two-piece, V-type windshield. The gear shift lever was moved from the floor to the steering column. Dodge's "Safety Light" speedometer had a lighted bead that would glow different colors depending on car speed. In 1939

Chrysler had Many First options,

#11,121 ·
I'll admit that this one is a tad obscure. I heard the term on a video and it took a hour or so to verify that the term was correct and get a proper definition.

It has nothing to do with warpage of wooden wheels.

hint #2 The same process applier to hammers also.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.