Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#11,226 ·
Yes coal gas. WWI and gas rationing in Europe. Autos were converted to run on coal gas and the hydro-carbons made by burning wood or again coal. For the coal gas there were relatively few carb mod other than injection the gas directly into the venturi of the carb. The same with wood and coal hydro-carbons. Fueling stations were set up for both coal gas and wood and coal. Same thing during WWII.
Pretty nifty indeed!

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

#11,232 ·
Yeah, that coal gas burning car blew me away, never heard of such a thing.

I need to check out that link so I can get a little better understanding of it.

So boys and girls, what is this?

Brian

#11,260 ·
It's your floor Crash.

By the way, this is my boss' stand. He has a '29 Pickup that was his wife's uncles truck on a farm here in the area. They sent the motor to be rebuilt and the dude never returned it and it's now gone. Of course should have never done it anyway being the truck is very rough needing a full restoration.

Brian

#11,258 ·
Brian what you have is a Model T base mounted engine stand. It will work on a Model A block since it has two attach points at the bottom of the block that match on both the T and the A. On the T block two of the holes on the side match two holes on the stand. On the A only one.
Is there a FoMoCo or Ford casting mark on yours? If so it probably came from a Ford Garage and was sold by Ford. I think I see a casting mark in your picture. I'm wondering about this because your mount looks like it was mounted stationary to the floor judging by the base. If it is stamped or cast with a Ford insignia it might be worth some bucks.
The question I was trying to get you to answer about how it attached to the rear of the block was a trick, The stand attaches to the side of the block.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.