Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#12,821 ·
There are no doors on this body, the doors and glass were different, you are right, but there are no doors on this body, so what is different on the body. Not a single bolt on part is on it.

Brian

#12,827 ·
this is what I was referring to are cut in the cowl to latck the hood on a 34 the 33 do not have it

Not an answer to your question but this sis the difference I was referring to in the doors
Besides the differences that Deuce mentioned, the window opening on a 33 is different from a 34 in that on the 34 there is an extra panel, (like a webbing), at the back of the window opening that allows the glass to slide back when you roll it up all the way, then continue to crank on the winder handle...in effect making a one inch vent at the front. It was called "Smokers glass", and it worked with a cam and follower on the regulator. The window garnishes were different as well, with the 33 being a straight cut bottom and the 34 had an angled shape to it.
You can see the webbing in the picture below.

#12,833 ·
David got it, the '34 has a hole in the body at the cowl for the hood latch, while the '33 has a bracket riveted to it.

But just for fun, there is one other difference to do with the hood.

Yeah I know BB, but I thought I would ask it in a different way. :D

It's your floor David, but what about that other difference to do with the hood guys?

Brian

#12,835 ·
Yes, but I am asking about the cowl, not a single part bolted on. You got the first one, that the bottom of the cowl on each side has a hole for the latch on the '34 and a bracket on the '33. It's your floor, But if you want bonus points what other difference on that cowl? It has to do with the hood too.

Brian

This is a '34

#12,836 ·
there was about 3 or 4 in extension in front of the windshield on the cowl

Also, the 34 had some notches in the top of the cowl that allowed the hood sides to sit, when the hood was opened.

To elaborate on what Deuce already said...The biggest difference between the 33 and 34 grill is that the 34 had straight teeth, while the 33 had teeth that were curved forward at the bottom..that is why the 33 is the more desirable grill.

The 34 also had some differences in the hood, the hood top was flat at the front, while the 33 curved down at the last couple of inches or so to meet the grill....A much more refined look on the 33. You can see it plainly in the pics that Deuce posted. I think that the second pic is a 33 with a 34 grill and hood, as I can't see the webbing at the back of the door's window opening.

#12,852 ·
Probably Mercedes using a T head design by William Maybach. Maybach's design featured a valve in head intake and a side valve exhaust.
Maybach introduced his engine around 1906 but it didn't show up in a automobile until 1908. Initinoly it was developed as a racincing engine. Chevy came on to the scene with a OHV engine in 1913.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

#12,855 ·
1 source says Chrysler and then there is this

The original overhead valve piston engine was developed by the Scottish-American David Dunbar Buick. It employs pushrod-actuated valves parallel to the pistons, and this is still in use today. This contrasts with previous designs which made use of side valves and sleeve valves.

Arthur Chevrolet was awarded US Patent #1,744,526 for an overhead valve engine design. This patent included an adapter that could be applied to an existing engine, thus transforming it into an Overhead Valve Engine.:confused::confused:

#12,856 ·
I guess this answer would depend on the source,,:D

The T-head engine gave way to the L-head (also called the flat-head or side-valve) engine in which valves were placed on one side of the engine. The L-head dominated the scene for years. Ford used it on V8s until 1953. But waiting in the wings was another design, introduced in 1898 by Wilkinson Motor Car Co. -- an engine that had the camshaft and valves in the cylinder heads. You know it as the overhead-cam (OHC) or overhead-valve (OHV).

During this Golden Era, other notable innovations bearing on the development of the gasoline engine took place. Then engine in the 1905 Knox was a horizontally opposed powerplant similar in makeup to one adopted 30 years later by Volkswagen for use in the Beetle. Like the Beetle engine, the Knox engine was aircooled. Corrugated pins surrounding the cylinders made it possible to obtain 32 square inches of heat radiating surface per square inch of outside cylinder surface.

Another noteworthy car was the 1906 Premier, with a four-cylinder vertical engine. It had a 4.25 x 4.25 inch (108 mm x 108 mm) bore and stroke, making it one of the earliest "square" engines. As late as 1953, C. F. Kettering, automotive genius and inventor of the electric self-starter, wrote: "The so-called square engine with the bore more nearly equal to the stroke in order to reduce piston speed brought us a considerable way down the path to the modern engine." He was referring to engines in the 1949 Cadillac and Oldsmobile.

#12,857 ·
It might depend upon the source. I got the info from a well known national publication that is usually pretty accurate in sourcing their informatiom. You're in the ballpark with your very early 1900's time frame. It was earlier than the 1905 Knox but did share a common design element with the Knox apart from the OHV.

#12,859 ·
The engine developed by John Wilkerson in 1898 was a single cylinder engine and was used in Wilkinson first prototype vehicle. It never made production.. Wilkinson built a second prototype and sold it to Herbert H. Franklin. Wilkinson went to work for Franklin and the 1902 Franklin "Light Roadster" was the result. The engine was air cooled complete with a four cyl OHV engine.
The car and engine are in the Smithsonian.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.