Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#4,985 ·
The last Italian Iso Isetta was made in 1955 and then it was sold to BMW who used their own engine. It was also sold to a French company who continued using the Iso engine until 1958. The Isetta was also sold and built by a Spanish company, a Belgium company and under licence from BMW to a British company. not all using the BMW engine. The Italian Isetta saw the handwriting on the wall when Fiat introduced their 500 and sold off the company to everyone else.
The Iso engine was actually a beefed up single cylinder twin pistion engine that was modified for use in the Iso. Your right not a lot of infomation about the engine other than it was made larger for more power and less viberation. I wonder if the viberation problem was rectified by the different strokes. And you have to keep in mind non of these companies produced a simlar car. They all looked different! Some had three wheels and some had four.
BB :thumbup:

#4,988 ·
Noone has took the question if floor is still opwn (Big Daddy) Dpn Gartis is accepted in racing as being the first person to use Nitrox Oxide in a drag race car everyone thought the bottle was a fite extingusher -where did he get the idea to use this product i may have given it away by giving his name

#4,989 ·
No one has taken the question, if floor is still open (Big Daddy) Dpn Gartis is accepted in racing as being the first person to use Nitrox Oxide in a drag race car everyone thought the bottle was a fite extingusher -where did he get the idea to use this product i may have given it away by giving his name

#4,993 ·
What sixties domestic car had a three speed automatic transmission but had to have only two gears showing on the indicator? You can shift it into first by rocking the shifter from drive to low twice.

Brian

#5,010 ·
AND the Studebakers of the early 60's - a Bord-Warner Auto that only showed L and D in the quadrant. To get a manualy-selected second gear you started in L and then shifted to D, then back to L (My dad had a '64 Commander that did that!)

It had a really stoopid shift quadrant - P, N, D, L, R

#4,994 ·
Are you referring to the early Fordamatics around 1955. They started out in 2nd gear if you left it in drive. If you pulled it down into low then it started out in 1st gear. You could shift it from Low to Dr and then pull it back into Low to lock it in second and then put it in drive when you were ready to go into high gear. You could do the same thing in reverse to make it back down but you would have to stomp the accelerator at about 25 mph to get it to kick on down to low gear when you were decelerating. My dad never knew this until the 3rd front seal went out of the transmission and his mechanic advised what caused the seals to fail. :(

John L

#4,995 ·
I was pretty good speed shifting my old Fordo in my 55 Bird. Ozzie the trans guy at the Ford dealership I worked at beefed it up so I got very positive shifts out of it. Over bored, ported ,tri-power with 2GC's AND a 3/4 Race Mellings cam. Lots of fun. I paid $400.00 for my 55 T-Bird. I remember turning one down for $325 because it didn't have power windows!
BB:drool:

#4,996 ·
John, that isn't the one I was thinking about, being I am a Buick nut, I was thinking 1964 Buick when they got the "TH400" (ST400 in the Buick) ahead of the other lines and from what I understand had to hide the fact it was a three speed.

But it's your floor because it sounds like the same deal and I learned something!

Brian

#5,014 ·
I remembered Pontiac because Smokey told me himself! LOL, No kidding, that guy was such a cool dude. About twenty five years ago I called on an ad in Hemmings motor news on a Buick race engine. Smokey himself answers the phone and I had about a 30 minute (maybe an hour) conversation with the man. He told me about the Pontiac Tempest 4 cyl he had, that is the only reason I knew he ran Pontiacs. I didn't know if they were the first of course, it was the only thing I ever remembered about him other than Chevys and I got it from that phone call.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.