View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 07:25 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Ebay! Jester I think your thinking about the Turbonique supercharger. They also made a electric supercharge as well as units that used exotic additives.
Turbonique
I know Turbonique very well I worked on a few ! The drag axles or rocket powered axles as some call them (very dangerous) like time bombs you didnt know when they would blow . And a couple of their liquid powered self propelled supercharger! that had the carb mounted on the supercharger and the charger mounted away from the engine and the fuel and boosted charge piped over and flanged to the intake!

The supercharger Im talking about was a solid propellant self propelled supercharger with a firing pin! it loaded like a cannon breach! when you pulled the cable in the C O C K pit of the drag car it fired and lit the propellant spinning the supercharger! I only saw one in my lifetime in the early 60s at a drag strip. but the Oberhausen literature talks about a solid propellant supercharger, along with the electric, exhaust driven and belt driven that they produced!
So I was guessing that was the one I saw? I don't know! If I saw a picture of it I would know for sure it could have been a home engineered unit that used a blank cartridge to spin it like the old aircraft engines?

What ever or whoever ? The thing was Neat as hell !

Jester