Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#6,298 ·
HUH? Nope, not that I know of. Those cars had modified shock/spring towers but I don't believe they had a widened track. I wasn't thinking about them so maybe I should be more specific. We are talking the wheels are further apart from one an other with the V8.

Brian

#6,303 ·
If they are my own I have on photobucket they are simply big photos. But if I am copy and pasting the URL of a photo I find I look for big photos, 800x600 at least. If you google image the size is in the lower corner of the photos if you hover over them. At least on my computers here and work.

This one is 3072x2304

800x640

300x300

Brian

#6,313 ·
In 1946, the Hughes H-4 Hercules was moved from Culver City, Ca. to the Port of Long Beach. This was a 28 mile trek to haul the 75 ton fuselage, the wings were hauled separately. The trip took 2 days and was hauled by a single vehicle. What was the name of the vehicle that hauled the plane to it's destination? Why did they haul it to Long Beach? What was the nickname for this flying boat? What engine powered this truck andf how many H.P.?

This was a fun read, I might be able to find the entire article and post a link. Shouldn't be too hard, I gave away a lot of info.

#6,314 ·
All I know is it's the Spruce Goose, designed by Howard Hughes. I had the pleasure of going thru it up in Washington at a museum.

The truck pulling it, holy cow, haven't a clue.

Brian

#6,317 ·
Alright Dinger here is the problem. The aircraft was transported to its birthing dry dock at Berth 120 on Pier E, at the southeast end of Terminal Island in Long Beach. It took at least three trucks owned by the Star House Moving Co. INC to move the major components. They were paid $140,000 to do the job. Not bad money in 1947!. Which truck carrying which section are you asking about? Hmmmm?

Attachments

#6,319 ·
The truck they used to haul the flying boat was named Loretta.

They moved it to Long Beach because they didn't pay their rent in Culver City.

The nickname of the flying boat was " Fly Dam***, Fly!"

The engine that powered the truck was a Briggs and Stratton 12 HP.

BB :mwink::mwink:

Back to stripping wallpaper.

#6,324 ·
Mercury Capri and De Tomaso Pantera. I had my shop when the Capri was being sold, 91ish and worked with a Lincoln Merc dealership right down the street. Now closed and is a tire store. :( I worked with a guy who worked at a Merc dealership and had a lot of stories about the Eliminators and Panteras. Things like you have to pull the motor to get the gas tank out. I remember him telling me about fixing a wrecked Pantera and delivering it on Friday and going into work on Monday to see it there wrecked again.

Brian

#6,325 ·
You got it, Brian. :thumbup:

The Pantera for sure, but I forgot about that Capri, I was thinking of the LN7...

When was the last time you saw an LN7 ? Haven't seen one up here in rust country in at least 20 years.

The first car I ever got paid to work on was a Pantera. When I was kid, my Dad did paint and body work out of our garage in addition to his regular full-time job. When I was 10 or 11, my Dad was restoring a neighbor's Pantera, and paid me $1/hr to help...good times. :D

The floor is yours, Brian...:thumbup:

#6,326 ·
Pantera

For the Canadians on here - it was a Pantera that Tim Horton was driving when he was killed.

For US readers - Tim Horton's is a national chain of doughnut shops - think "Dunkin Doughnuts" - which is famous for its coffee as well as its fattening stuff. Tim Horton was a hockey player (mostly for the Toronto Maple Leafs) and crashed his Pantera into a bridge abutment on the 401 one night in 1974.

#6,327 ·
For the Canadians on here - it was a Pantera that Tim Horton was driving when he was killed.

For US readers - Tim Horton's is a national chain of doughnut shops - think "Dunkin Doughnuts" - which is famous for its coffee as well as its fattening stuff. Tim Horton was a hockey player (mostly for the Toronto Maple Leafs) and crashed his Pantera into a bridge abutment on the 401 one night in 1974.
Here is another Canadian built 2 seater + an American built.:D:D

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.