Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
And what is a Brewster Ford?

BB
I guess for a lengthy explanation first a little background on the Brewster company.

The House of Brewster had it's origins in the early 1800's as a fine carriage maker. Notable examples of Brewster carriages are President Lincoln's carriage, President Chester A. Arthur's Carriage and President Rutherford B. Hayes's carriage. They were well know as a high end carriage builder. The Brewster company's car building developed from the carriage building business. The Brewster company's first know bodywork on a car was on an electric car in 1896. Until 1915 they built cars on other manufacturer's chassis, They were doing so well by 1910 that they built a new (high tech at the time) factory to handle the expanded room needed for automobile manufacturing. In 1914 they became the main supplier of car bodies in America for Rolls Royce. From 1915 to 1925 They built their own car, the Brewster Knight. By 1925 sales had dropped but Rolls Royce was expanding in the US and bought out Brewster to put bodies on Rolls Royce's in the USA from their factory in Massachusetts. At the beginning of the Great Depression Rolls Royce of America folded. From 31 to 34 Rolls shipped chassis from England but the expensive Rolls Royce's were not selling very well. The idea was hatched to use a less expensive chassis to make Brewster more competitive and Fords were considered to be among the best engineered in the world. That was the birth of the Brewster Ford, they were titled as Brewster not Fords. Brewster started bankruptcy proceedings in July of 1935 and the company was sold at public auction in August of 1937.

I became acquainted with Brewster Fords in elementary school after I ordered Tad Burness's Auto Album through Scholastic Book services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Hello,Hello ,is any one home ,Hello..
Sorry, I've been driving up and down I-80 all day wasting fuel trying to make a living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I read Edsel Ford had 2 built for his estate 1 limo and 1 roadster if i remember correct. latley i wonder
Edsel took delivery of the third Brewster Ford built, he ordered it with a standard Ford Grill. It was sold in 1941. Edsel Ford's Brewster Ford Town Car front
Edsel Ford's Brewster Ford Town Car side

Ford took delivery of another that had the Ford Grill but I don't know what body style it was.