Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#10,255 ·
If it had no throttle I'm guessing the engine would run at a set rpm and in that case it would need some form of variable speed transmission. There are machines that kind of work this way. A lot of agricultural sprayers for instance have a hydrostatic transmission. The engine is run against the governor and the transmission is used to vary that ground speed. Most of the combines I have driven to harvest grain utilize a hydrostatic transmission much in the same manner but I have driven a couple, long ago, that used a variable speed belt to vary the ground speed. These use an adjustable pulley to drive and a spring loaded pulley that is driven to vary the speed.

Pretty early for a hydrostat so I'm going to guess it had a variable speed belt or some other device that I'm unfamiliar with.

#10,258 ·
Ok. Last guess. either a 1901 Duryea Phaeton Three Wheeler, 1901 Duryea Phaeton Four Wheeler, or a 1901 Duryea Trap Four Wheeler.All three of these autos used Duryea's three cylinder engine. This engine throttled by sliding a throttle plate back and forth across the intake valves. The plate restricted the amount of travel the intake could open. This engine might be Duryea's Peoria type engine.

BB :mad::mad:

#10,273 ·
. Looks like a steering rack or master cylinder or slave cylinder... or a jack... or convertible top mechanism...

. A real rodder would have made that Duryea engine work instead of going with a furrin' Asian engine... even if had to add a Holley AFB carb. to it...

. Reminded me of the Brown motorcycle... Brown didn't like electricity... thought it was the devil's work... so used a candle or something to ignite the engine... didn't use a chain either, but a ratcheting drive...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.