Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#10,761 ·
Bob I just double clicked on it and it opened right up. I'm running goggle chrome. I think it's on your end. Just search out Toyota 2000GT and you'll see the car. The convertible I posted was one of two built for a James Bond movie. All totaled Toyota only built 351 of them n 1966-70. The car was a collaboration between Toyota and Yamaha with Yamaha actually building the car. One sold recently for 1.2 million. I really haven't found a definitive answer as why so few were built. They were relatively expensive for the time. Road & Track magazine summed up the car as "one of the most exciting and enjoyable cars we've driven", and compared it favorably to the Porsche 911. I personally believe the car was built just to prove they could. A very stylish car for its time that holds up well today.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

#10,760 ·
Interesting, I never knew it existed....very much reminds me of the Ferrari 250 GTO, especially from the firewall back and from the rear.
Looks a little goofy when the headlights are up, should have just decided one version of lights or the other instead of both IMO....wish they had sold it more mainstream like a Datsun 240Z so it would be available to the average guy.

#10,770 ·
OK - now you're gonna make me feel stoopid when you point it out. This one is a model 210, (I have a '57 210 - hence my screen name!)

OK mine is a 4 dr ht (Sport Sedan) , so I can maybe be forgiven if I miss some Sport Coupe - specific stuff

I gotta say that it looks a teeny bit out of proportion - like the roof is too tall or too short. My first guess was that it had been shortened in the pass compartment - maybe using sport sedan doors instead of sport coupe doors, but I don't think that's it.

Rear fender top (short) spears are correct for a 210, lack of "shark gill" inserts on front fenders is correct for a 210. Script in rear fender insert is correct for a 210

The more I look at it, the less I can see!

#10,775 ·
You are correct in a 57 hardtop 210 most HT were belairs in 2 dr version this is a close friends car it is a 39000 mile original paint and it has a 265 instead of a 283 the engine is a blueish greenish color also original.
only change I am aware of is the wheels and tires but he still has the stock ones.
this is a couple more of his cars ,the white one he bought new and drove on his honeymoon
the blue 55 needs no explanation.

Your floor

Attachments

#10,778 ·
There were a LOT of 210 hardtops

The main difference from a 210 to a Bel Air was "about 7 truckloads" of chrome.

Stuff that was standard on the Bel Air (like a clock) was optional on the 210, and not available at all on the 150 series. Carpets were an option on the 210 - standard on B/A

Depending on date of manufacture and which factory assembled it, a 265 may have been the "standard" V8 (a 6 was the base engine, so any V8 was an option) or a selection of 283's could have been checked off in the order book

My 210, for example, had a clock and a radio, but rubber flooring.

Mine was produced with a 265 and "three on the tree" , but at some point it wound up with a 6 in it before I got it (now a 350/350 combo)

The only body styles NOT available on the 210 were the Nomad and the Convertible (both of those were B/A only) and the sedan delivery (150 model only)

Some VERY basic models were 150 only - like the sedan delivery and the Business sedan (not even a back seat!)

A LOT of 210s later "became" Bel Airs through the addition of the B/A trim and upholstery, etc

Only the Bel Air had the wide stainless along the (outside) window ledge - 210s had a very narrow strip. Only Bel Airs had the long spears on the fin-tops

Bel Airs had gold-anodized grilles and "inserts" in the front fender shark gills

When I got mine, I also scored a wrecked Bel Air 4 dr HT, intending to "upgrade" mine. Then I found out that there were only some 1700 Canadian-built 210 4dr ht's ever made ,(thousands of 4 dr ht B/As) so the B/A chrome etc is now a wall decoration in my shop. There were a LOT of 2 dr ht 210's

#10,779 · (Edited)
I didn't know there were a lot of 210 HT ,I guess around here if they bought a 210 most would put Belair chrome on them ,I thought it would be rare ,probably is as a survivor,, speaking of business coupes this is David,s 55 business coupe ,no back seat and rear windows don't roll down

also a better picture of the 210-57

on this side by side ,I see the gold grill and fender emblems you were referring to.

Attachments

#10,781 · (Edited)
The rubber "dagmar tips" were an option, just as the vertical "bumper over-riders" on both of the cars shown

All Canadian-built cars had one-piece front bumpers, as did the cars assembled at the Los Angeles plant. All other assembly plants used the 3-piece bumper. The white (B/A) car definitely has a 3-piece bumper - I cannot see the joints in black car's front bumper, so it may have a California-spec (or Canadian spec) one piece front bumper. The joints are visible on the white car, just about straight below the parking lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.