Thread: Trivia thread
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I have already cheated and found out the day you posted it. Was waiting for someone who actually knew it to get the win.

But since it's going unanswered I will divulge my findings. (I love getting to use divulge in a sentence)

VERY interesting and I vaguely remembered they did this but didn't know it was a different division of AMT the model people.

It was actually AMT Speed and Custom division! It was basically full scale model kits! They were kit cars! I love this stuff!

Piranha & Man from U.N.C.L.E. Car - Piranha "Roots"

Brian

That's partially right Brian. They weren't all actually kit cars but full size replicas of their model cars. Also they built a number of vehicles for TV and movies.
The Piranha that you showed was designed by a company called Marbon Chemical, a division of Borg-Warner and Centaur Engineering Corporation as a way to promote the use of plastic in the automotive world. AMT bought the rights to the vehicle with the intention of going int production and marketing it! They also were going to sell it as a "kit car" as you said. Who was heading up the AMT Speed and Custom Division? Gene Winfield. One of the Piranha's was used in the TV series Man From Uncle. About fifty cars were built most of them prototypes. The vehicle under went a lot of design changes. Here's the sport racing version.

Go for it Brian

BB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x12c.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	73371