Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#13,262 ·
Blimy! Ow could it ave fooled meself? It's a flippin Ford Zodiac!!! Maybe 1961 or 62.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

(Author's note: The crappy imitation of some foreign accent was in no mean intended to insult anyone. If you are insulted because you either talk like the Author's ramblings or you write similar to the Author's lousy scribblings, well tough titties!)

#13,263 ·
Well done boothboy, I didn't even realise that the mk II zephyr also had a zodiac til I senn this here car. The mk I had a zephyr and a consul. Mk III and mk IV zephyrs also had zodiac. Spent a lot of time drifting with a mate of mine in 70s,in a mkIII, bald tyres, wet roads, wasn't called drifting then, just hooliganism. I fitted the part to the T,lol.

I knew you or Malcolm would get it.

Later gator
Russ:D

I

#13,271 ·
!954 Plymouth Belmont it is! It's a Exner concept car. Built in the U.S. by the Briggs Body Co. it was made of fiberglass. The thought behind the concept was to challenge Chevrolet's Corvette and Fords Thunderbird. Hemi powered, it may well have blown the doors off the competition, but the Chrysler Corp was pretty stodgy at that time and X'd the project.

#13,286 · (Edited)
Correct there were only 68 convertible fuel injected cars built this one is a 3speed on column with overdrive ,, your floor:thumbup:

Then it is lavished with over 50 factory and dealer installed options ranging from a clever & very rare vacuum ash tray, a very rare Remington electric shaver, twin spotlights, to a radiator bug screen (cost .97¢). Then, it is fitted with FUEL INJECTION to narrow the number down to only 68 made. Now finish the “Fuelie” in flawless Matador Red paint; there were only 39 of those. Only 5 of the 39 Matador Red Fuelies were fitted with an automatic transmission. So, there you have it; One of 5. And when

#13,290 ·
I think the name of this transmission is deceiving,i will give the answer an some one else take the floor,i have to leave for a while

This Nomad I had also had this transmission ,shift pattern was P,,R N D,L

Not the normal P N D L R ,,reverse at the bottom ,,only used in 57 58 and early 59. a BIG failure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-rLTiix-d0

Attachments

#13,291 ·
Both Buick and Chevrolet tried essentially the same transmission ( Turboglide for Chevy and Flight Pitch/Triple Turbine for Buick) starting in 1957. The had properties of Buick's Dynaflow trans with a Variable Pitch Torque converter. Both had a "Grade retarder or Hill Retarder position on the shift column (G or Hr). Chevy people thought the Hr position meant "High Range" but it didn't.
I remember driving both brands in the sixties and I could never figure what the heck those positions were meant to do!
Chevy fumbled around with theirs until 1961 and Buick quit them in 1959. Lots of problems and whole transmissions were replaced with Power Glides. Those transmissions cost GM millions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.