Hot Rod Forum banner

Trivia thread

Tags
humor trivia
2M views 17K replies 198 participants last post by  boothboy 
#1 ·
We started a trivia thread over at another forum and it has been a lot of fun.

Here are the ground rules. It starts with one question. The first reply with the right answer gets the floor for a new question. It continues like that unless, A) the person who has the floor doesn't ask a new question, or B) no one gets the correct answer. In that case, the person with the floor asks a new question. No more than one question on the floor at a time, and discussion/clarification is welcome until the floor is taken over by a new question.

See this thread for an example of how it goes: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/trivia/1454/page1/

First question: In the 1952 Indy 500, what type of fuel was burned in the record-setting pole-position #28 car? Hint: it won pole position by a full 4 mph over the second-place Ferrari

#16,070 ·
Persistent mentions of the Pontiac OHC6. Been curious about theTornado since I saw it's cutaway pic in my automotive encyclopedia when I was 12. They called it Willys and I never saw any more info. Somewhere along the way I stumbled upon that link which answered my questions but I still wonder if it had a distinct sound and feel. Reading about it's torque curve and valvetrain simplicity is semi-mindblowing as is the fact that it represented America on the battlefields and racetracks alike. One lobe per hole with good gas mileage sounds like a winner and I can't figure why it didn't catch on.

#16,071 · (Edited)
I dont remember the year late 60s or early 70s I think Jeep toronodo engine was either designed or Built by Jaguar,,i had ine in a full size truck when I ordered oarts I was told it was a Jag engine,dont know that for sure.:confused: the truck is from the 50s.

Edit: should have looked it up..

The Tornado was the only U.S.-built overhead-cam engine in production at that time. The new engine was designed for robust, heavy-duty performance with maximum efficiency. Its excellent fuel economy was proven in tests with the Tornado-OHC engine having the lowest specific fuel consumption of all production gasoline engines on the market.[..

Attachments

#16,082 ·
This may blow your minds, on the way to work Marge and I had one just like that beside us half way across town on the way to work this morning. A stone stocker, every cool car. I never realized how big the rear window was, MUCH bigger than the Fords and Chevys of the day for sure.

Brian
It was that long trunk, I almost bought on once. I think they are a cool car. You could camp in that trunk! :D

At one time 55% of all cars in the world were this car.

What was the make, model and year?

Attachments

#16,081 ·
This may blow your minds, on the way to work Marge and I had one just like that beside us half way across town on the way to work this morning. A stone stocker, every cool car. I never realized how big the rear window was, MUCH bigger than the Fords and Chevys of the day for sure.

Brian

#16,086 ·
Yes, the pictured Ford Model T must have been a wealthy person's car. T's came in a wide variety of configurations but I'd say the vast majority had that fake driver's door and I assumed that is what would give this one away.

Too Many Projects had the make and model right and since it's been 24 hours since any responses I'll give up the year. It was in 1916 that 55% of all cars in the world were Model T Fords.

#16,087 ·
I don't know why my post doesn't show up on the lounge page? :confused:
The last thing it shows is boothboy's post yesterday, maybe I've just became a non-entity and only exist in my own mind?
Ok, so now I've ventured into the realm of Solipsism Philosophy or have I wandered into the twilight zone?

#16,101 ·
Henry Ford builds his third vehicle – a truck.

Ford introduces the Model T One-Ton truck chassis, the first chassis built specifically for trucks.

The first factory-assembled Ford pickup debuts, with a price tag of $281. The new truck is outfitted with a cargo box, an adjustable tailgate, four stake pockets and heavy duty rear springs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.