Trolls? Where did they all come from? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 07:06 PM
Crazy Canadian, woohooooo!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Trolls? Where did they all come from?

Ok, I haven't been on here quite as regularly as I used to, but is it just me or is there a flood somewhere forcing all of them out from under the bridges? Or, maybe it's mating season? Just a thought. Maybe I should have put this in the dump?

Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2003, 11:02 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

schools been out & what else do some of those TROLLS have to do but mess w/us, hell I had a couple follow me here from ChevyTalk (Jon knows who they are ) I gave them all an ***** chewing for what they did to a fellow member, the kid drove a ford (because it was all he could afford) so they decided to pick on him & when myself & others jumped on them them decided to become OFFENSIVE with us & was not only rude but used racial slurs in PM's & emails toward us. Its amazing how childish & how low some folks will go to hurt someone they dont even know Hopefully those same people will be paid back 10x over for what they did. AND like I have said so many times before, its a shame we cant clean out the GENE POOL more often...........joe
Old 08-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

where do they come from????

importp.o.s.com
Old 08-10-2003, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandflea427SS
importp.o.s.com

& I always thought they came from
"TROLLS-R-US" ...joe
Old 08-10-2003, 01:35 AM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

I think Trolls R Us is just for getting trolls in bulk!!
Old 08-10-2003, 05:48 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

well the shoe also fits the other foot, if the trolls start sending racial or otherwise offensive p.m.'s let us all know and we can slur them in bulk. i dont know if this applies to trolls, but my youngest stopped pulling hair when i pulled his back a couple of times.are trolls as smart as 10 month old babies?? no?? oh well just throw a bucket of boiling oil on them. lol mike
Old 08-10-2003, 11:34 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeweyman
well the shoe also fits the other foot, if the trolls start sending racial or otherwise offensive p.m.'s let us all know and we can slur them in bulk. i dont know if this applies to trolls, but my youngest stopped pulling hair when i pulled his back a couple of times.are trolls as smart as 10 month old babies?? no?? oh well just throw a bucket of boiling oil on them. lol mike
Actually the very best way to handle trolls is to IGNORE them.

What they want is a response. Any kind of response. If they can get someone upset they like it even better. Once they find out nobody will talk to them they lose interest in the game. And that's all it is for them. A game.

The way a good board like this wins is to not even play.

Oh.

One more thing about trolls....

There are not that many of them. They just use many different names and styles to make it look like it's a whole invasion. I've seen one troll use about 50 different names.

We probably just have a few troublemakers here.

And don't let them start a board war with another board. Very very bad idea. They will start trouble at two boards and then stand back and laugh while everyone beats each other over the head. Don't get sucked into that trap.

Again: DON'T PLAY THEIR GAME.

HTH

Last edited by JunkYardFrog; 08-10-2003 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JunkYardFrog
Actually the very best way to handle trolls is to IGNORE them.

Again: DON'T PLAY THEIR GAME.

HTH

[SIZE=4][COLOR=red]AMEN[/COLOR] [/SIZE]
Old 08-10-2003, 05:24 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

(singing)Were did ya come from.Were did ya go.Were did ya come from cotton eyed Troll.Were did y................................................. ....What am I the only one who remembers that song???!!
Old 08-10-2003, 05:30 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Quote:
I've seen one troll use about 50 different names.
Yeah we've seen that before. Great point. Jon does what he can to keep an eye on things here by tracking IP addresses and stuff but it all takes time.

Old 08-10-2003, 06:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Not sure where they come from, but if you have a concern about a potential troll, please PM me.

If you feel that disciplinary action needs to be taken against a member, please start a thread about it in the Hotrodders Q&A forum. Seems like one of the most effective methods of solving troll issues has been simply to have an open discussion about them. Before their "official" punishment, they usually just PM me to say that they're going to take some time off in light of the discussion about them. Discussions like that also leave us with a documented, public justification for disciplinary measures.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:10 AM
Born To Be Mild

Last photo:

Just cruzin the lounge and I noticed this theme.Excuse me for being dumb,but what do you mean, in this instance by "Troll"
I thought a troll is a fictional cave dwelling dwarf, but as you guys talk a different type of English,maybe in Hotrodders talk it means something else.
(I have a sick feeling this question will lable me a troll!)
Old 08-11-2003, 09:45 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Malc...you trying that shoe on? LOL!!! A Troll hangs around and his only goal in life is to make everyone elses life miserable. The Troll likes to start trouble then bow out. He'll go to another post and kick the hornets nest again. He pushes the rule to the very edge and then goes over the edge. He likes to keep things in a constant turmoil. Read some of the past post about trolls, and you'll see who they were and ehat they caused. This site has had it's share of trolls, but with the troll spotters we have on here they don't last very long. If you keep your nose clean maybe you can get a position as a troll spotter. We have quite a few on here but you never know who they are. One thing...when a troll is spotted, it is not a pretty site. Remember the old Frankenstein movies when the villagers got together and went after old Frankie? Same thing here. A troll shows up then you know there is going to be a lynching.

definitions:

troll

1. v.,n. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling", a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it. See also YHBT. 2. n. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that they have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of life on the net, as in, "Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll." Compare kook. 3. n. [Berkeley] Computer lab monitor. A popular campus job for CS students. Duties include helping newbies and ensuring that lab policies are followed. Probably so-called because it involves lurking in dark cavelike corners.

troll Last modified: Wednesday, April 16, 2003

(v.) (1) To deliberately post derogatory or inflammatory comments to a community forum, chat room, newsgroup and/or a blog in order to bait other users into responding.

Long ago, a troll, in fables and fairy tales, hid under bridges and whenever someone attempted to cross the bridge he would announce to them that they could not pass without his permission. It's an ancient legend derived from such fairy tales. Kind of like our boogie man or sand man.

The modern day troll, as Loan Arranger has pointed out, is based on this ancient fable of the troll under the bridge.

He "hides" under the "bridge" (meaning an "alias" name) on the internet and on web chat sites, posting boards (such as this one) and menacingly cries out to "frighten" or "encite" those under his perceived alias protection (not knowing that he is but a little person too afraid to face the traveler man to man). He is, basically, a coward.

troll

As used on the Internet:
1) As a verb, the practice of trying to lure other Internet users into sending responses to carefully-designed incorrect statements or similar "bait." In a real example, a Usenet newsgroup contributor mentioned the discovery of an ancient African carving containing a list of prime numbers. The contributor further listed some of the prime numbers found and included some numbers that, in fact, are not prime numbers. Other contributors then sent serious replies, correcting the list of prime numbers cited.

2) Also as a verb, as a synonym for "surf."

3) As a noun, in emulation of the small mischievous figures of Scandinavian legend, a figure (or one of a group of figures) that you can pretend to be in the chat groups and games called MUD and MOO and their variations.

Kevin
Old 08-11-2003, 09:52 AM

GREAT definition, Kevin and str8 to the point..........joe
Old 08-11-2003, 01:42 PM
American Madd Man

Last photo:

Although, I do like a run away troll in the yard on occasion. It sharpens the skills!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.