Trouble after intake swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Big Block Bossa Nova

Wiki Edits: 0

Trouble after intake swap

Hello all. Today me and my father swapped the intake out on the 454 in my 71 Nova. The swap went fine and we had almost no setbacks. Well after everything was bolted back together, I went to fire the car up... and nothing. We checked for spark, which we had, the motor is getting gas, and my father adjusted the timing a few different times but we just could not get it going. The motor is rolling over fine, it just diesnt sound like its catching. It got dark before we could mess with it some more, but we are going to go back at it 1st thing in the morning. I was wondering if some of you guys can give me some kinda of idea as to what the problem might be so I can try it out in the morning. Any info you guys can supply is greatly apreciated.

Rob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Kill It & Grill It

Last journal entry: New door panels
Last photo:

Does it spit and sputter out the carb?
Old 01-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I would bet that you have the distributor out of time. It is easy to get it 180degrees out. Check that first thing.

Chris
Old 01-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Big Block Bossa Nova

At first it was backfiring out of the carb, but my dad figured out we had two wires backwards on the distrbutor. We put them right and it didnt do it again. When I started the swap I took the distributor off and bumper the rotor around until it was facing the firewall. I then took a ruler and a sharpie and made some back lines exactly where the rotor was pointing. We put the distributor back in the exact same place. I agree with you trbo, that its most probably something in the timing thats messing up, im just not sure how it happened. Thanks for the input so far guys.

Rob
Old 01-23-2005, 01:11 PM

Im confused, what do you mean by you took off the distributor and bumped the rotor towards the firewall and then drew a line? Do you mean that you took off the distributor cap, and then with the distributor still in place, you bumped the engine till the rotor pointed towards the firewall and drew your line? If thats what you meant(I think you), than you did ok there. As long as the bottom end wasnt somehow moved during the process(whle the distributor was out), you should be close enough by your method that it would at least start.......even if the timing is off a little. And it shouldnt be that far off if you put it back in pointing right at the line that you made.

With that in mind, Id assume that youve either still got the firing order wrong, which should be 18436572. Also, the cylinders on the driver side from front to back are 1-3-5-7 and the cylinders from front to back on the passenger side are 2-4-6-8. When I say front to back, I mean the front of the vehicle, going back towards the firewall. If your firing order isnt crossed up, you can possibly have a bad vacuum leak. It could be around the edges of the manifold or the base of the carb. Or maybe you dont have all the vacuum lines hooked back up. Check all the linkange settings on the carb too and make sure youve got fuel flow(just in case you didnt hook everything else back up properly). Also, is the choke working and are the throttle blades moving freely?
Old 01-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

If you didn't turn the engine while the distributer was out, it should be in time. As long as you put everything back the same.................

Budget RVs

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.