Trouble shoot heater problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013, 03:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Trouble shoot heater problems

My 65 goat came with out the heater working. One of the few things I did not check during the purchase. There is no motor noise or fan when switched on. Any ideas how to start to trouble shoot. Fuse seems to be in place and ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 03:41 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Run a test light to wire going to the blower motor with the heater on high, if you have power going to the blower motor...try running a jumper wire to the blower motor, if it doesn't turn the motor, the blower motor needs to be replaced...if it does start the blower motor turning, chances are you have a bad ground. If you don't have power going to the blower motor, there is a break in the circuit and it needs to be traced...the good thing is, it's a 65 GTO...you can almost trace the wiring with your finger...not like today's car where you need a GPS to find your battery.

Hope this helps

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
65 red (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 03:53 AM

Every GM blower motor I've seen has a two conductor plug or a single conductor plug and a ground. Just unplug it there and check for voltage with the ignition on and in each position of the dash switch. Make sure you check both high speed and the lower speeds. If you get voltage there, then you just need a new blower motor.
- FYI - Some 70's GM vehicles with AC have a separate fuse fuse for the high speed blower relay and it may be an inline fuse under the hood. I don't know if they also used this setup in the 60's vehicles.
- All GM cars of this vintage have a blower speed resistor pack. High speed runs full 12 volts and bypasses the resistors, and lower speeds run through the resistor pack. The resistors are a ceramic-like material and they often break and you lose the lower speeds. Most cars lose low speed first because it is used often (later GM cars had no off position for the fan, so low speed ran whenever HVAC was on).

If you did not get voltage at the motor you need to move back to the dash switch and check for voltage and for a bad switch. If you don't have voltage at the switch you must have a break in the wiring between the switch and the fuse box.

Bruce
The Following User Says Thank You to 75gmck25 For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 03:58 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25 View Post
Every GM blower motor I've seen has a two conductor plug or a single conductor plug and a ground. Just unplug it there and check for voltage with the ignition on and in each position of the dash switch. Make sure you check both high speed and the lower speeds. If you get voltage there, then you just need a new blower motor.
- FYI - Some 70's GM vehicles with AC have a separate fuse fuse for the high speed blower relay and it may be an inline fuse under the hood. I don't know if they also used this setup in the 60's vehicles.
- All GM cars of this vintage have a blower speed resistor pack. High speed runs full 12 volts and bypasses the resistors, and lower speeds run through the resistor pack. The resistors are a ceramic-like material and they often break and you lose the lower speeds. Most cars lose low speed first because it is used often (later GM cars had no off position for the fan, so low speed ran whenever HVAC was on).

If you did not get voltage at the motor you need to move back to the dash switch and check for voltage and for a bad switch. If you don't have voltage at the switch you must have a break in the wiring between the switch and the fuse box.

Bruce
Much better explanation and testing procedure Bruce, I thank you for the detailed process.

Ray
Old 10-10-2013, 08:34 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

First thing you need to do is to actually take a test light and check both sides of the fuse before you tear into anything else.

The hardest thing for me to learn when I first started doing automotive electrical was to "CHECK THE FUSE FIRST"! You can't just look at them.

BB

All the other info you got is correct. Your blower mtr will have a single connector for power and a separate ground wire. make sure the connections are good. The inline fuse will be located at the back of the engine on the pass side. It's only for high speed. Also if I remember correctly there is a high blower relay located on top of the evap case under the hood.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:31 AM

Thanks i had a few people reply. Ill give these a shot and write back!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.