trouble shooting 4l60e shifting problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 07:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

trouble shooting 4l60e shifting problem

HELP PLEASE!! i have a 1994 s10 blazer 2wd 4.3 cpi (w code)eng, i can not keep a transmission in this thing. i put a rebuilt eng in it at 152,000 miles. my tranny lost 3rd and overdrive after about 500 miles, ok worn out , had it rebuilt, lasted about 500 miles quit pulling had nothing, my so called friend that did it said front pump went out, and he would not fix it got screwed so i called transmission planet in Atlanta ga 1-866-502-0810 bought one from them rebuilt, put it in drove it about 9 months /6000 miles tranny lost 3rd and overdrive called them pulled the tranny returned it they said they rebuilt it completely and tested it i get it back installed it worked fine for 150 miles then it lost 3rd and overdrive again, how can i tell if its the tranny or if its the computer, i have no check Eng light on and i have scanned it for codes none show up. what can i do?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 03:24 AM

Last photo:

Did you flush the Trans cooler before installing new Trans?
Old 11-02-2010, 08:05 AM

yes, i flushed the cooler and lines, filled converter, locked it into front pump, filled transmission with correct new fluid, it drove fine, and all gears shifted fine for about 150 miles. now no 3rd or 4th. its full of fluid, reverse works fine 1st works fine shifts and 2nd works fine trys to shift but no 3rd, eng races and it will drop back to 2nd, this tranny is suppose to be under warranty but cant get them on the phone, i've called for 3 days and left massages but no return call. i hope they dont screw me too
Old 11-02-2010, 09:59 AM

Last photo:

A very simple fluid pressure test would isolate if the computer is controlling transmission pressure correctly. It would seem the problem is outside the transmission as its done this with different transmissions. BUt there also seems lacking quality of the products you get, as they don't give you a clue of a simple pressure test. Also if you follow charts to only be looking at min and max fluid pressure, it can fail at part throttle pressure too. So that, its good to check while driving also.

The codes may require a different scanner. If the check engine light is on, there is a code in some module on the vehicle. And it needs to be found. GL
Old 11-02-2010, 01:14 PM

i finally got a hold of transmission planet but not sure what they are going to do. they say they have no record of me or my transmission and they just rebuilt it last week, mmmm, (fishy) there company is going though a lot of changes and lost a lot of there records, and fired some people, hope they don't go out of biz and leave me hanging. be careful if you do biz with them. im worried well if all fails i guess i,ll find another world class t5 and change my blazer over like i did my Monte Carlo. im getting where i hate automatic transmissions they suck with all this computer crap, transmission don't need that stuff, just a way to mess up a good thing and cost more money
Old 11-02-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexnfx
A very simple fluid pressure test would isolate if the computer is controlling transmission pressure correctly. It would seem the problem is outside the transmission as its done this with different transmissions. BUt there also seems lacking quality of the products you get, as they don't give you a clue of a simple pressure test. Also if you follow charts to only be looking at min and max fluid pressure, it can fail at part throttle pressure too. So that, its good to check while driving also.

The codes may require a different scanner. If the check engine light is on, there is a code in some module on the vehicle. And it needs to be found. GL
thanks for your reply and i hope someone can help me figure this out but this is the same transmission i sent back it has a stock # engraved in the case that they put on it, they say they rebuilt it, the 3rd and overdrive sun shell broke/failed the first time i have scanned the computer with a snap on mt2500 scanner and nothing shows as far as codes no check Eng light no Eng codes i have gm trouble cartage and transmission troubleshooter cartage, is there another scanner that will work better than this one? my 1994 has the ob1 system not ob2 so thats the only scanner i know of that will work, thanks again for all of your help. just hope i can help someone here too

Last edited by randy28384; 11-02-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy28384
thanks for your reply and i hope someone can help me figure this out but this is the same transmission i sent back it has a stock # engraved in the case that they put on it, they say they rebuilt it, the 3rd and overdrive sun shell broke/failed the first time i have scanned the computer with a snap on mt2500 scanner and nothing shows as far as codes no check Eng light no Eng codes i have gm trouble cartage and transmission troubleshooter cartage, is there another scanner that will work better than this one? my 1994 has the ob1 system not ob2 so thats the only scanner i know of that will work, thanks again for all of your help. just hope i can help someone here too
I misread that there was no codes

You do have to watch out for the super duper saver world wide cheapest trans places on the net. These people are all over. They don't care about you in any way. Their ethics don't even belong in this country and just ruin it for the rest of us in the automotive industry.

All I can say is, when you get another trans. Better have someone drive it that understands how a trans works, not just, that it does work, there is a big difference of knowledge there. And throw a pressure gauge on it too GL
Old 11-06-2010, 03:47 AM

Last photo:

A suggestion check the MAF sensor the Maf is a direct input for Line pressure rise in the 4l60e a failing MAF can casue numerous 3-4 burnups. I have seen them bad and not throw any codes also. other than that sounds like you need to find a builder that knows the 4l60e unit hydralically inside and out.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:44 PM

thanks every one

well i gave up after trying everything i knew to do and i was right. they did a crappy job to get over on me, took it to another friend that rebuilds trannys for a living at owens transmissions and it is crap, they installed 4 new steels and clutches instead of 6 in the 3,4 sun shell and it is cracked, bypassed the high pressure switch just to make it work several other problems he showed me, so im having my first one totally rebuilt that Dewayne at master tech transmission screwed up. at leased this time it should be fixed. be careful guys this mess can cost you a lot. me 1100 first time then 1100 2nd time now 1650 wow. i am going to have to drive this thing forever to get my money back
Old 11-10-2010, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

I would file claim against the shop. thats is piss poor work.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:16 PM

Last photo:

Sorry for your troubles... I remember, some years ago. Schucks/Craiger, AKA O'Reilley's now. But O'Reilly is a good company IMO. Anyways, they Used to sell transmissions. We would do some warranty work for them. It was amazing. These gangsters, the transmission pans were piled up with sand. I don't know the reasons, other than a fast buck. Way too big to mess with. Just mass marketing, fail the customer base, and move on, start a new company name, do it all over again. And they are still doing it, as you see. Hope the reputable re-builder does good for you.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.