The trouble with some carpet kits.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The trouble with some carpet kits..

I've been needing to replace the rugs in the 53 for quite a while now. I got a taylor-fit kit as a gift, a few weeks ago, and decided yesterday to give it a go. I pulled the front seat out along with the gas peddle, brake pedal and old carpet and underlayment.
I was pretty dissapointed with the fit of this new kit. They glued the jute backing down too close to the edge of the rugs for me to get it tucked under my new sill plates. It would have been easy enought to just trim it back to fit, if they hadn't of used this bullet proof hot glue to stick down the backing to the carpet. This glue is harder than a rock and is stuck so good that any attempt to remove it, seriously messes with the loop piles in the rug. I've finally got one side fitted pretty well but it's a good thing I don't do this for a living - I'd be standing in the welfare line.
Scissors and box cutters will hardly touch that old jute style wool looking backing. What does it take to make a clean cut on that stuff anyway - dynomite?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Blood, Sweat, and Gears!

Last photo:

I don't have any personal experience with this, but i wonder if heating the glue up A bit with a heat gun or a hair dryer might make it a little easier to cut?
Any time I've ever had to cut carpet I've just used a sharp utility knife or a razor blade.

Good luck with it!
Chris
Old 04-16-2006, 03:53 PM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:

The trouble with some carpet kits..

Thats why i dont buy any type of carpet kits. They are junk. Take your car to someone and have it done right.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:17 AM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

Wouldnt recommend a Hair dyer or heat gun as they can burn the carpet fibers even on the back side and cause other issues.

Best way is to use a Trim or Appearal Steamer. Glue is a hot melt.

Cover the glue with a cotton rag and steam until the glue gets tacky again and soaks into rag and pull off. Repeat with a fresh rag until glue is reduced, you are unlikely to get it all off.

Use some care as the latex backing will soften up and may come off with the glue. You dont want to pull any more of that off than you have to.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:03 AM

Last photo:

a clean vise for a 3rd hand to hold it....a razor blade....and patience!

as noted above: don't need 100% removed, and if you do nick it alittle, it's hidden by the sill plate!

all the kits I've ever seen require trimming for the sill plates

"have it done by a pro" can be a gamble.....friend just got his 69'stang back with a 2 piece overlap the length of the tranny hump....looks like xxxx!
Old 04-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Myself i would not expect any of those kits to be quite perfect out of the box.."Some installation required" I think they call it..

Cutting Jute is a pain I use a razor knife and plan on sharpening or having a box of new blades around if I work with that stuff..

Sam
Old 04-20-2006, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

primemover,
just noticed you are in Oregon, almost as wet and damp as FL...

food for thought,
this is over kill,
but because jute is a fantastic sponge, very slow to dry, I do remove it all and use mylar bubble wrap from Lowes insulation dept under the carpet.....leave a window open, carpet rain soaked with jute= a week (?) to dry....doesn't help the electric's or steel

I do also spray the floors first with Duplicolor bedliner spray ($7 Walmart or auto parts store), especially areas that can hold dirt and water, forms literally "a condom" to keep the water away from the metal....super easy to use, love the stuff
Old 04-20-2006, 10:20 PM

Last photo:

Hey guys, I really appreciate all the response I got to what I thought was a dumb question in the first place, but... Once I got to thinking about it, I figured just about everybody thats ever tryed to freshen up the interior on thier rides (without going broke in the process) has gone through similar stuff, whether they're willing to admit it or not.
Since this kit was a gift to begin with, and the guys who were nice enough to get it for me have been real "die-hards" trying to help me make it work, Biitching about the quality of the kit too much is out of the question. It's kind of a learning process for all involved ya know?
We used a soldering iron to burn the bolt holes for the seat belts and all the other stuff that's covered up by washers, plates, escutcheons and seat mounts.. The heat melt kinda helped scab over the cheap loop pile rug so it wouldn't run like a cheap pair of panty hose - funny how hot iron just flys through that nylon and the jute to boot! I took yall's advice and gently heated up the hot glue wads around the sill plates that held the jute where it shouldn't be and it worked very well. Thank ya'll again.
In the end, they shorted me the tailor fit piece that goes full length across the bottom of the back seat. My buddys Steve and Jerry bailed me out on that one.. They took a cruise out to Canby yesterday, to an automotive carpet vendor and ordered me up all the right stuff to make it happen. I made a template for the drive line hump and tomorrow, if that little carpet rem comes in UPS like it's supposed to, I'll get the border sewed onto it and it'll be a done deal. I might ad, it's not looking half bad either.

I'm a welder/fitter, not an interior dude. I'll be the first one to admit it..
Old 04-21-2006, 07:42 AM

Last photo:

thank you!

soldering iron/soldering gun to burn holes!

great idea I'd never seen before
Old 04-21-2006, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
Just noticed you are in Oregon, almost as wet and damp as FL...
Up here in 'Oreegun' moss grows on everything. Perfect weather!That is, if you're a duck..

AFLAC!!

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.