Troubleshooting my 4 link - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 05:10 PM

Last journal entry: gus`s 40
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I am running a adjustable 4 link set up but am by far no expert on them. A buddy told me that the bottom two bars should run parallel to the ground and are the adjustments you square the rear end up with. The top bars should intersect the bottom ones with an imaginary extended lines 2/3 toward the front of the car, the top left is to set pinion angle and the top right is for pre-load. After I set it up that way it would launch hard and push the rear to the drivers side, then I moved the rearend to the pass side about an 1/2 inch and now it leaves straight but my panhard bar is above the axle

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJThor View Post
"When I have had that type problem, it's usually worn Heims on the track bar, which is what that diagonal link is called, or the track bar is in a bind, which may be causing the bolts to come loose.

Another thing to check is if the rear end is square in the chassis, if it is not square, it will push to the side on launch."

The track bar is not in bind, it looks great. The bolts were comming loose so we just added some lock washers. The rear is square in the chassis (as far as our measuring goes). The bottom two links are all the way short. The tops are both different but ever so slightly. .691in passenger side, .673in drivers side.
Having the bars the same length does not mean the rear end is straight in the chassis. I have set up pro built cars that had the four link mounts as much as 1" different from side to side. I always set them up with a string and a square to get the rear end perfectly square in the chassis.

There should be lock nuts on all the suspension bolts.

I am not a big fan of track bars on street driven cars, I build all mine with a Watts link on the rear end. In my experience the rod ends on a track bar wear out in about 100 miles of street driving, enough that there is enough play to affect handling.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:15 PM

Thanks for replies guys. We will read that article and hopefully do a much recheck and square the rear end. I wont be visiting my parents for another week so it may be while before we reply. But we will!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.