Troubleshooting smokey exhaust - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 07:34 PM

Last journal entry: New photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Troubleshooting smokey exhaust

So I finally got the car running with the new powerjection fuel injection system but have a problem. The car has some smoke exiting both exhaust ( have true duals) but is much worse on the drivers side. The amount of smoke increases as the car warms up. These observations are while at idle. I understand that white smoke is usually water, blue smoke oil, and black smoke fuel. I really cannot tell what color the exhaust is. I did hold a paper towel to the exhaust while running and on the drivers side there was a black deposit on the towel when I removed it. So is this fuel or oil? The fuel injection smoothed out my idle a lot but I still hear a slight hiccup on the drivers side exhaust. Could a fouled plug be the culprit? Ideas? Differential diagnosis?
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 01:51 AM

it sounds like to me that you might need to do a ring job or a valve job on your motor if since you said you put a fuel injection system on it the black on your paper towel is more then likely oil but I would pull my plugs first and see if you have oil on then if you do then you more then likely need to do a ring job
Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 AM

Last photo:

Ayuh,... Do a Compression Test so you're dealing with a Known commodity....
Old 02-26-2010, 07:29 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

If you have access to the equipment, a leakdown test will tell you more than a compression test.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:07 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoodard23
So I finally got the car running with the new powerjection fuel injection system but have a problem. The car has some smoke exiting both exhaust ( have true duals) but is much worse on the drivers side. The amount of smoke increases as the car warms up. These observations are while at idle. I understand that white smoke is usually water, blue smoke oil, and black smoke fuel. I really cannot tell what color the exhaust is. I did hold a paper towel to the exhaust while running and on the drivers side there was a black deposit on the towel when I removed it. So is this fuel or oil? The fuel injection smoothed out my idle a lot but I still hear a slight hiccup on the drivers side exhaust. Could a fouled plug be the culprit? Ideas? Differential diagnosis?
Thanks
Which Powerjection do you have?

A TON of things could be the issue, but assuming there was no smoke BEFORE the system was installed, it will be fuel-related, IMHO.

How would you describe the idle quality? Overall, how does the car run and drive? Have you looked at the plugs?

Where's the O2 sensor located? If you're using the clamp-on deal, be real sure there's no leakage.

Are you tuning via laptop or by the EMS/STT software? What's the fuel pressure? MAP working as it should?

Look for simple things first- something as small as a vacuum leak will let the O2 sensor 'see' a lean condition and then it will respond by dumping in fuel to try to "cure" the problem, so to speak.

The adaptive learning can take some time- you need to drive it for some time for this to fully happen, unless you're tuning by laptop.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:26 PM

Last journal entry: New photos
Last photo:

It is a powerjection I. I am using a clamp on o2 sensor and there is an exhaust leak as evidenced by the black soot which had stained the pipe where the leak was. I will fix this first. I removed the o2 sensor and there was A LOT of black soot on the sensor. I'm hoping this is just a fuel issue. The sensor is mounted on the passenger side where the exhaust goes horizontal and is at about a 10 o'clock position.
I do have a laptop with the dashboard software but have not used it to tune the system other than set the throttle position limits.
I bought a compression gauge and new spark plugs but am not going to change anything until I try again with the O2 clamp fixed.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:18 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoodard23
I bought a compression gauge and new spark plugs but am not going to change anything until I try again with the O2 clamp fixed.
A compression tester is a good tool, a vacuum gage might serve you better in this case...

Fixing the O2 sensor air leak will definitely be needed, regardless if it's the sole cause or not, so good deal. Are you going to weld a bung? They're available if you wanted to go this route.

I don't know if the instructions say where to locate the O2 sensor, but it has to be close enough to come up to temp. If it doesn't, the system will not go into closed loop.

Keep us posted...
Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 PM

Same issue as above

I have a brand new motor (351C 4V stroked to 408) with the PJIII installed with true dual exhaust (no "X" pipe). I am having black soot coming from the left bank, none from the right. My O2 sensor is located on the right side exhaust at about the 10 o'clock position looking from the rear.

Doesn't smell like gas; which means it may be condensation? But why am I not getting the same from the right bank?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:14 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff-00 View Post
I have a brand new motor (351C 4V stroked to 408) with the PJIII installed with true dual exhaust (no "X" pipe). I am having black soot coming from the left bank, none from the right. My O2 sensor is located on the right side exhaust at about the 10 o'clock position looking from the rear.

Doesn't smell like gas; which means it may be condensation? But why am I not getting the same from the right bank?
Have you tasted it to see if it's water or antifreeze? But seriously, you need to determine if it's coolant or "fresh" water/condensation.

Often the smell will give water away if used in the cooling system instead of antifreeze even after going through the exhaust system. If it's antifreeze, that should be fairly easy to determine either by smell or color.

If it's water and not from the cooling system, it may be (for instance) the exhaust system on one side got water in it while the engine bay was being hosed off, or rain water entered the exhaust while the engine was out, or if one muffler was involved w/a blown head gasket that was pushing water out of the exhaust on just one side. Water inside a muffler can take a good while to evaporate out.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the reply....

Taste test revealed no adverse reactions and doesn't have the color of anti-freeze (mixed 50/50). I have new headers; although the old ones may have gotten wet while engine was out.

The soot coming from left bank is black so water color is hard to determine. I did a "sniff" compare to what was in the radiator to what I collected on a rag. Not even close......

I'm thinking water, just odd that both sides don't have same issue.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff-00 View Post
Thanks for the reply....

Taste test revealed no adverse reactions and doesn't have the color of anti-freeze (mixed 50/50). I have new headers; although the old ones may have gotten wet while engine was out.

The soot coming from left bank is black so water color is hard to determine. I did a "sniff" compare to what was in the radiator to what I collected on a rag. Not even close......

I'm thinking water, just odd that both sides don't have same issue.
There's a fair to good chance that you will not continue to see this after you put a few hundred miles on it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.