trubo 400 torque converter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 05:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

trubo 400 torque converter

I had a 71 chevlle with a straight 6 and swapped for the 350. I obviuosly couldnt use the torqu converter from the 6 cylinder as it is way too small for the flexplate on the 350. My question is that, I put the torque converter for the turbo 400 onto the stock powerglide and I have the tranny full of fluid and the car wont seem to move or the tranny even engage. The vacuum line that comes off the back of the powerglide fell off a few times during tuning. The vacuum line runs through the linkage. I do have some adjustments to make tto the linkage. But I am moving the linkage by hand under the car and the tranny still doesnt want to engage??? I have taken the tranny through all rpms and it still doesnt engage?? It was perfect pre engine swap?? Do I need a different torque converter?? I have a turbo 400 tranny but just didnt want to install due to my untrusting purchase of this 350(which runs like a champ by the way). What can I try???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71haulnazz
I had a 71 chevlle with a straight 6 and swapped for the 350. I obviuosly couldnt use the torqu converter from the 6 cylinder as it is way too small for the flexplate on the 350. My question is that, I put the torque converter for the turbo 400 onto the stock powerglide and I have the tranny full of fluid and the car wont seem to move or the tranny even engage. The vacuum line that comes off the back of the powerglide fell off a few times during tuning. The vacuum line runs through the linkage. I do have some adjustments to make tto the linkage. But I am moving the linkage by hand under the car and the tranny still doesnt want to engage??? I have taken the tranny through all rpms and it still doesnt engage?? It was perfect pre engine swap?? Do I need a different torque converter?? I have a turbo 400 tranny but just didnt want to install due to my untrusting purchase of this 350(which runs like a champ by the way). What can I try???

The torque converter from a t-400 and a power glide will not inter change.

A stock power glide has a smaller , coarse spline input shaft.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I already put the torque converter in the powerglide and it fit and spun everything correctly??? Turn the torque convert byhand and the powerglide back yolk would turn no play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71haulnazz
I already put the torque converter in the powerglide and it fit and spun everything correctly??? Turn the torque convert byhand and the powerglide back yolk would turn no play.

perhaps you missed the part of my post about the powerglide has a smaller input shaft and is a coarse spline.

the vehicle does not move because the drive hub of the turbine inside the t-400 torque converter is at best waving at the small input shaft of the powerglide.

IF your powerglide had been converted to a 'turbo spline' input shaft ... then the t-400 converter turbine hub would be transfering power to the power glide transmission.

Pull the powerglide transmission out.. look at the input shaft of the powerglide.......then install the correct torque converter for the P-Glide transmission application.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.