truck crate engine, older intake? pattern? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010, 02:49 AM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

truck crate engine, older intake? pattern?

10243880...350...95-00...2 or 4...Vortec truck, Gen.I crate motors and "ZZ4", roller cam, one piece rear seal

im thinking about acquiring one of these engines that only has 75k miles on it, someone wants me to trade me a 700r4 tranny i have, for it.

will any of the common stock GM casting 4bbl intakes fit on these engines? same bolt pattern ?

or common 87up tbi stock intake?

would the heads on this engine be the old intake pattern style?

or ?

ive totally lost track on when the heads and intake bolt patterns changed, and for which engines.

werent two intake bolts done away with or something? around 1995?

or did these crate engines keep the older intake pattern after 1995?

i also read somewhere that these crate replacement engines were not actually vortec? so must be older style heads then?

thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by fast68; 09-11-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 03:06 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast68
10243880...350...95-00...2 or 4...Vortec truck, Gen.I crate motors and "ZZ4", roller cam, one piece rear seal

im thinking about acquiring one of these engines that only has 75k miles on it, someone wants me to trade me a 700r4 tranny i have, for it.

will any of the common stock GM casting 4bbl intakes fit on these engines? same bolt pattern ?

or common 87up tbi stock intake?

would the heads on this engine be the old intake pattern style?

or ?

ive totally lost track on when the heads and intake bolt patterns changed, and for which engines.

werent two intake bolts done away with or something? around 1995?

or did these crate engines keep the older intake pattern after 1995?

i also read somewhere that these crate replacement engines were not actually vortec? so must be older style heads then?

thanks
The 880 block was used w/Vortec heads. I believe they could also have been used w/non- Vortec heads originally. So, to know for sure you need the casting number of the heads, period.

There's no way to say w/any certainty what the bolt pattern on the heads will be, w/o knowing if they're the '96-up 062 or 906 Vortec heads or '95- back (there might have been some crossover, I don't know) swirl port TBI heads, or even something else altogether.

You know the Vortec heads require a tall port intake w/the Vortec-only bolt pattern. No other pre-Vortec intake will fit w/o extensive work.

The other likely option is the "straight" center bolt heads, like used w/the TBI, etc.. Intakes from '55-up can be used if the center bolt holes of the intake are elongated and washers w/the correct angle on them are used to hold down the intake. There are aftermarket intakes for all of the different head types, obviously.

Last edited by cobalt327; 09-11-2010 at 03:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.