Hot Rod Forum banner

Truck mounts

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  ogre 
#1 ·
My son just bought a 1958 chevy truck and we are going to run a SBC and I'm having trouble finding mounts for the side it has the front mounts but there is not enough support between the front mounts and the tranny maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or it's quite possible I don't know what I'm doing lol any help would be great thanks.

#2 ·
i'm going to assume you have an automatic trans, yes, there is too much space between mounts
your currently using two sets of auxiliary mounts, whereas the bellhousing mounts on the original trans crossmember were the main motor mounts
the motor probably twists pretty good under hard acceleration and he's replacing exhaust doughnuts monthly :D

get some motor mounts, since the kid at autozone needs a year; get 68 chevy truck v8 motor mounts with all the bolts
buy a foot of heavy wall 3/8'' tube and a couple square feet of #10 gauge flat plate
cut the tube to bolt into the motor mount, bolt the mounts on the motor
cut some flat plate the width of the tube on one end and 2'' wider on the other
triangulate the cut plate from the top frame rail to the tube bolted in the motor mount and from the tube to the bottom frame rail
tack weld only to the tube initially, remove everything and bench weld everything, add a gusset between the plates
reinstall everything, weld the plates to the top and bottom of the frame rail; then remove the original front mounts

presto... your done :D

these photos show a ifs cross member, you don't have that;
but it shows the top plate from the frame to the tube bolted in the motor mount
you'll need to add a 2nd plate from the tube to the bottom frame rail and then cut the gusset

#7 ·

Attachments

#9 ·
If the engine is in the truck now, with front mounts, or if you can temp install it that way. You can then fabricate the side mounts very easily. I did this same thing on my dad's '58 Chevy truck when I removed the old straight 6 back in the late 60's, and dropped a 327 in it. I built up all the side mounts and tacked them in place. Then lifted the engine out, and welded everything up really solid. Dropped the engine back in on the new side mounts, and made up all the exhaust, and linkage.

#10 ·
all the pre-made kits require cutting and welding and, imo, are way too costly
if your going to cut and weld, make your own :D
these cost me some scrap, if i had to buy everything it'd probably be in the $10 range

the internet is a wonderful thing, here are my old motor mounts that i sold 2 years ago
i deleted the pics from my computer, photobucket and all my backups
did a search for ''ogre 55-59 chevy truck motor mounts'' and presto :D

10 gauge flat plate, some tube and a little welding
the notch on one side goes around the parking brake mount

#11 · (Edited)
Photos

If you're gonna run the straight axle, you need to save the original crossmember, its critical to support the frame at the leaf spring mounting area IMHO. Here's a couple of photos of how I notched out mine to fit a T56 Borg Warner transmission. You may be able to make a smaller notch, here its plenty of room. I used 1/8" plate cut and formed to the contour of the cutout, then mig welded it in.The T56 bellhousing area where the slave cylinder is requires more clearance on the drivers side with a 3 degree down angle on the engine/transmission. If you need it, I think I have the engine position measurements written down somewhere(centerline of crankshaft off of the frame and engine mount height off of the frame etc.) Nolan

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.